1126 Signins

57257 Page Views

• Views: 57257
  • Message 21 of 34

Re: Tap to click not working when using trackpoint

2014-08-21, 9:20 AM

Hi Pertos,

Thank you for your reply!

There is one last driver that we can try to install. This driver is the Synaptics base driver. This driver has helped others with certain issues where the UltraNav driver did not, so it may provide some assistance. That driver can be found here.

Also check with the below link if the issue still persists, it might be with different model but you can follow the steps.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/G530-How-Do-I-Disable-TouchPad-quot-Tap-to-Click-quot/m-p/673947#M35545

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

6 Posts

08-19-2014

Greece

33 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 22 of 34

2014-08-21, 16:48 PM

Hello again,

Unfortunately that didn't work either. Uninstalling the driver and reverting to the windows generic driver "solved" the problem, but the accuracy deteriorated.

Do you think that upgrading to Windows 8 could solve the problem?

Thanks you for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Petros.

Options

3019 Posts

03-15-2014

Bangalore

1126 Signins

57257 Page Views

• Views: 57257
  • Message 23 of 34

2014-08-22, 8:01 AM

Hi Petros,

Yes, you can try with upgrading the Windows 7 to Windows 8, but I am not sure that this will resolve the issue, however before upgrading please run ThinkVantage system update tool so that if we are upgrading the OS first we have to update all the drivers. 

Have you checked with updating the system BIOS?

If you are performing clean installation then make sure that you have created the recovery media of current Operating System, because it might be useful in future.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

10 Posts

05-23-2014

London

9 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 24 of 34

2014-08-22, 12:30 PM

The problem exists on Windows 8, so I wouldn't bother upgrading.

Its a problem with the drivers, so I would either give up/remove drivers (although on Win8 it still seems to install the new ones), or try and hunt see if you can find some really old ones, you could have some success. Let us know if you do.

Options

6 Posts

08-19-2014

Greece

33 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 25 of 34

2014-08-22, 16:40 PM

Hi Gibba,

I believe tap to click was intrdoduced around the time the new X1 carbon was released so there must be in between version that include the update. I only found one that  I could install but that didn't work either.

It is really a shame as otherwise this is  an outstanding machine but this implementation of the trackpoint really slows me down.

Options

1 Posts

09-19-2014

Germany

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 26 of 34

2014-09-19, 15:26 PM

Bios Update was no help.

Options

6 Posts

08-19-2014

Greece

33 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 27 of 34

2014-09-21, 17:41 PM

I couldn't really get used to it so I sent it back. It looks like the buttons are coming back so I will be waiting a little longer until the next gen. models are released.

Options

1 Posts

09-24-2014

Asheville

4 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 28 of 34

2014-09-24, 22:41 PM

Wait, what?  Where did you hear they are bringing back the buttons?  (For what it's worth, I just got a W540 and the inability to "tap" instead of slamming down on this loud clickpad is becoming a real nuisance; and also the key cover for my tab key popped off within about 10 minutes.)

Options

6 Posts

08-19-2014

Greece

33 Signins

210 Page Views

• Message 29 of 34

2014-09-27, 18:56 PM

The E545 will have deditaced buttons even though the E540 did not. (lenovo's site) . Also a version of the detachable  keyboard for the HELIX 2 will have physical buttons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YMZZjB6kIs

A number of people on the notebookreview forum seems to think they are coming back too.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/755422-new-thinkpad-line-up-8.html

No word about the T,X and W series yet but it looks promising.

Options

8 Posts

11-22-2014

norway

46 Signins

563 Page Views

• Views: 563
  • Message 30 of 34

2014-11-22, 8:14 AM

I have the same exact problem, except that I'm running the windows 7 that was preinstalled.

The trackpad has too much friction to be used comfortably, my finger hangs up on it - so I wanted to use the trackpoint, which I like. Unfortunately, that's also a pain in the behind because of having to mechanically press down that LOUD flimsy piece of ......... . To be more precise, it's not the pressing down that's loud, but the release.

It makes using the computer without an external mouse a frustrating experience - and thus the functionality of this LAPTOP is greatly reduced. It feels like I'm using some low-quality flimsy crap, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid when I ordered a thinkpad. The keyboard is also on the loud end by the way (and for some reason the right side of the spacebar is significantly louder than the left).

I wonder what on earth the Lenovo people were thinking when they designed and implemented this. Saving money? Incompetent people in suits making the decisions? The trackpad seems like a poor imitation of the trackpad on a Macbook, which can also be a bit loud but not as much, and atleast the friction on that is low enough so that the cursor movement isn't choppy. Could it be that it will "settle" with use?

If only I could tap to click when using the trackpoint, I wouldn't complain because in that case I could actually use this setup comfortably despite the flaws. As it stands, I'm left disappointed. It's a shame, because I'm pretty happy with the computer elsewise, and I want to keep using thinkpads. The companies that actually make Windows-computers that are high-quality without a bunch of stupid gimmicks are few and far between.

I'm sorry if this critique is too harsh. It's honest though :-)

Edit: After doing some searching, I've realized that this issue is all over this forum, for several thinkpad models. That Lenovo has still not fixed this is mind-boggling.

Edit2: http://www.lenovo.com/images/gallery/845x475/lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-e545-keyboard-detail-4.jpg

So the new design is abandoned because Lenovo realized it's no good. What they should do is offer free trackpad replacements, yet they don't even bother to implement a software fix for what they know has poor functionality. What an insult. This e540 is barely a week old, I will probably return it unless this is fixed very soon.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms