09-28-2020

CA

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 4

ThinkPad E15 Gen 2 Black Screen after waking from Sleep

2020-10-25, 23:35 PM

Hi all, first time poster. I'm having an issue with my ThinkPad E15 Gen 2 that I bought new about 2 months ago. The laptop won't resume from sleep properly. The screen is black and remains black until the computer is restarted. This is obviously a problem.

The keyboard and power button are lit, so the computer is definitely still on when this happens. The backlight on the laptop screen is on, so the screen is still "on", just displaying black. If I connect an external monitor the the laptop, it displays.

Occasionally the keyboard will not respond to key presses; when this happens the computer will crash and restart itself after about a minute.

I have tried restarting the graphics driver with win + ctrl + shift + b, uninstalling/reinstalling the graphics driver, updating all drivers and updating the BIOS to no success.

If I use the Reset option in Windows 10 the issue resolves itself, but then reoccurs after about a day.

Solved! See the solution
Options

9 Posts

09-20-2020

KR

10 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:ThinkPad E15 Gen 2 Black Screen after waking from Sleep

2020-10-26, 5:23 AM

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-13-E-and-Edge-series-Laptops/E15-Gen-2-Cannot-wake-from-sleep/m-p/5039906

This is my thread about the same problem.

I am 99% sure that this thing can be solved with BIOS update, but there hasn't been an update for e15 gen 2.

Hopefully, about a week ago, LENOVO released BIOS updates for T14 and T14s which seems to deal with the problem, (Just as the link above, the problem is not limited to e15 gen2)

all we can do now is just sit down and wait.

Have you enabled Windows 10 virtualization feature?

You can temporarily evade the problem by disabling virtualization feature.

Another way is to rely on hibernation rather than sleep. (Note that hibernation looks like not 100% safe from the problem. I once had the exact problem sending the laptop to hibernation by closing the lid. I suggest windows start button.)

I am checking whether an update has been released almost everyday.

I cannot believe it has been almost several months but they have not mentioned the problem or released a patch.

Even T14 series users had to wait for several months, only a week ago.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

09-28-2020

CA

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-10-26, 11:55 AM
Hi dlguswo333, thanks for your reply. i am relieved to see that this issue isn't isolated to just me, because i am certain that it is a software issue that can be resolved if enough of us bring it to lenovo's attention! unfortunately i cannot turn off the virtualization feature because i do a lot of work in virtual machines, so it has to stay enabled. haven't tried hibernation, so i will give that a try instead of sleep mode until lenovo sends an update that resolves this issue.
Options

9 Posts

09-20-2020

KR

10 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-11-24, 8:29 AM
Hi, if you can read this, you might want to check the newly released driver on windows 10 update. You can see the employee's reply from the link I just posted on this thread.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete