US

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 7

ThinkPad E480 - Semi-Random Glitch Screens

2020-10-07, 5:08 AM

Hi all,

I've been having issues with my Lenovo Thinkpad E480. It seems to randomly glitch/flicker out at almost seemingly random times and I'm forced to shut down (See attached screenshot below). I've noticed that it tends to do this when my table is bumped or when I move my laptop; but I've also seen it do it on its own. In addition, very occasionally after a crash: the Power Button, Esc/FN key, and sometimes Caps Lock flicker on/off in order. When this happens, on a few instances where it becomes impossible to force shut down.

Here are things I've tried:

• System Restore/Reset
  • Installing new drivers from Lenovo (specifically display) before and after the restore

I'm suspecting that this might be a hardware issue. If so, is there anything I can do to self diagnose before sending it in somewhere?

Thanks

Options

1234 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

144 Signins

6636 Page Views

• Views: 6636
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:ThinkPad E480 - Semi-Random Glitch Screens

2020-10-07, 9:49 AM

Hello Canasian99,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Most often then not, when the screen increases in flickering when moved in any way or especially if the flickering is present in the BIOS, it is safe to conclude it being a hardware issue. Still, I will leave a few troubleshooting steps below as to be 100% sure:

Test 1 - Is the flickering persistent when entering the BIOS ?  

**To test this please turn off your computer fully and on startup, repeatedly press F1 to enter the BIOS. Is the flickering still there ?

No: Software Issue (Continue on Step 1.)

Yes: On board LCD/Cable/Motherboard/Discrete GPU (Continue on Test 2.)

Test 2 - If applicable, please try to connect the laptop to an external/2nd monitor and see if the flickering still happens.

No: On board LCD/Cable/Motherboard  

Yes: Onboard graphics card or Discrete Graphics Card(if available)/Motherboard.

**Note:  If the flickering is present in BIOS (yes to any of the above tests), then this is a hardware issue, as bios does not load more then the absolute basic drivers for hardware. In this case, I'd suggest contacting Lenovo support for your country directly (mail, e-ticket, phone) and see what can be done. Most likely it will have to be sent in to be assessed by an authorized technician.

If no to any and all above tests continue below:

Step 1. Disabling Power Saving Technology For Intel Graphics cards:

- Get into the Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel (CUI)

- Go to the "Power" section

- On the left navigation panel, select the "On Battery" option

- Pick "Display Power Saving Technology" | "Disable" |

Step 2. Perform a BIOS reset

- Press F1 repeatedly on startup to enter the BIOS.

- Navigate to the EXIT/Restart tab

- Press "Load Default Settings" / "Optimized Default"

- Save & Exit changes or F10.

Static Discharge

- Remove all cables attached to the device (power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)

- Ensure device is switched OFF

- Hold down power button for 40 seconds

- Re-attach all cables

- Connect the AC adapter, then let the device charge for 2 minutes before starting it back up.

- If the issue persists. Try with another AC Adapter & socket if possible and let the unit charge for 2 minutes before trying to power it on.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

4 Posts

10-07-2020

US

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-10-07, 16:49 PM

Hey Voithos,

I'd like to clarify that the flickering screen happens after the computer crashes. I'm also unable to reproduce the issue at will unfortunately. I will try the steps you listed above anyways, and see if the issues persists. 

Thanks!

Options

3 Posts

10-06-2020

PK

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-10-07, 19:09 PM
Hey I wanted to ask if you found what the cause of the issue was?
Options

4 Posts

10-07-2020

US

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-10-17, 21:00 PM

Still haven't found the source of the issue

I've found that the crash and flickering still occurs on a second monitor. Haven't be able to replicate the issue in the BIOS, but the crashing and flickering has occurred serveral times before the operating system loads in (During the Lenovo startup screen).

Today, I've also found that I got a blue screen with the stop code of DRIVER VERIFIER DETECTED VIOLATION

Does anyone have leads on this issue?

In addition, if this was an issue with the motherboard or graphics, how much would it typical cost to replace on this device? Would it be better to just purchase a new machine? 

Options

3 Posts

10-06-2020

PK

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-10-17, 22:11 PM

I recently had the same issue. And went to get it serviced (which include cleaning the fan and changing thermal paste) to be honest I didn't thought that a bit of cleaning would resolve the issue. But it actually did, apparently my laptop was super dirty inside. So I would recommended cleaning it out yourself or pay someone else to clean it for you before replacing/buying parts for the laptop

Options

4 Posts

10-07-2020

US

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-10-21, 18:10 PM

Hmmm, I recently purchased the laptop (maybe a year and a half ago) and I also opened it up the other night. Doesn't seem to be dusty. Was it under the motherboard that was dusty? 

Also, recently just got a PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA error with the source of win32kbase.sys

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete