Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

Thinkpad E455 Battery Defect

2016-06-03, 6:06 AM

Hi,

I bought Thinkpad E455 (20DECTO1WW) on Dec 2014 and with in 3 to 4 months got battery problem, The Lenovo Solution Center software says the battery condition is Poor. I've contacted lenovo customer care and they were confirmed that it is battery defect and they told your product warranty remains 250 days, and its been purchased from Japan, we dont have exact battery for this model in india, better send it to japan for the service.

Fortunately, my friend who helped me to buy this from Japan, he helped me again took there and gave it to service center on Japan and they replaced the battery and gave back!

The worst part is after they changed the battery, within the period of 5 to 6 months, now again the battery condition says Poor! 

I'm tired of contacting them for every 5 months for replacing my laptop battery. Now the warranty also expired.

I need a permanent solution for this, I dont know how lenovo selling such defective batteries/product, losing trust on Lenovo products now!

Hope Lenovo help me solve this problem.

Regards,

Parthiban Shanmugam.

Answer
Options

1609 Posts

09-16-2014

United States of America

3048 Signins

61403 Page Views

• Views: 61403

Re: Thinkpad E455 Battery Defect

2016-06-06, 17:56 PM

Parthiban_S,

You described a problem with your battery that may be resolved by firmware released by Lenovo.

It is described as the following: “This is not an urgent update; the problem will manifest itself over a period of months. Eventually, the battery will erroneously indicate that it can no longer hold any charge, but this effect is slow and accumulating.” The document also includes a list of impacted battery FRUs to compare to.

The Lenovo Battery Firmware Update Utility can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-Edge-laptops/ThinkPad-E550/downloads/DS001322

Please let us know if this restores battery performance.

Thank you,

Replies(6)
Options

1464 Posts

06-08-2013

Spain

2008 Signins

20098 Page Views

• Views: 20098
  • Message 2 of 7

2016-06-04, 12:45 PM
Hello, do you still have the part numbers of both batteries or some details? Also where did you purchase the new battery?

In addition to that, how do you use your laptop? Do you use it frequently on battery? Do you always drain the battery completely before charging it again?

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Options

2016-06-04, 18:02 PM

Hi,

Actually I didn't purchase the battery, i just given my laptop to Lenovo service center (Japan), because it was under warranty, they only replaced the battery and gave it back, i hope they could've replaced the authorized one. 

After the replacement, within the period of 5 to 6 months, the battery condition it says "Poor" (attached the battery details screenshots for your reference, which includes the part number of the present battery).

Yes, I frequently use my laptop in battery and I always used charge my laptop after draining it, meaning i connect the charger when it is prompting to connect the charger at level of 10% remaining. And the charger will be kept until 100% charge (sometime times, additional half an hour after 100%). then i disconnect the charger.

Since I’ve experienced the battery problem for the first time, I’ve completely red the battery health tips as precautionary measures and i was following them for the second battery. Even though it happened now.

Regards,

Parthiban Shanmugam.

Options

1464 Posts

06-08-2013

Spain

2008 Signins

20098 Page Views

• Views: 20098
  • Message 4 of 7

2016-06-05, 10:47 AM

Linking to this thread: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/thinkpad-e455-new-and-defect-battery/td-p/2228625

Found a similar thread. Forwarded this.

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Options

2016-06-06, 6:53 AM

Hi Jonas,

Thank you for forwarding me that thread.

As it says, I've contacted the levono customer service regarding my laptop issue, they advising me to take it to nearest levono service center and since my laptop warranty got expired, they will replace the battery with chargeable price it seems.

But, I don’t think replacing the battery is a good idea, because I’m worried that, what if the same problem happen again?

I can't keep spending some amount for every 5 or 6 months.

Please suggest me something helpful.

Regards,

Parthiban Shanmugam.

Answer
Options

1609 Posts

09-16-2014

United States of America

3048 Signins

61403 Page Views

• Views: 61403
  • Message 6 of 7

2016-06-06, 17:56 PM

Parthiban_S,

You described a problem with your battery that may be resolved by firmware released by Lenovo.

It is described as the following: “This is not an urgent update; the problem will manifest itself over a period of months. Eventually, the battery will erroneously indicate that it can no longer hold any charge, but this effect is slow and accumulating.” The document also includes a list of impacted battery FRUs to compare to.

The Lenovo Battery Firmware Update Utility can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-Edge-laptops/ThinkPad-E550/downloads/DS001322

Please let us know if this restores battery performance.

Thank you,

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2016-06-09, 13:46 PM

Thanks a lot Amy!

I didn't expect that firmware update will fix the problem, but actually it does!

After updating the battery firmware, the battery condition back to life. Now it’s says the battery is in good condition!

Also thanking Jonas and Lenovo community for the support.

Hoping, will not fall down on the same issue again.

Regards,

Parthiban Shanmugam.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)