09-11-2019

Poland

52 Signins

283 Page Views

• Views: 283
  • Message 71 of 169

Re: Thinkpad E590 - Radeon RX 550 performance issue

2019-09-13, 13:48 PM

Good news everyone, I found a workaround - by having a custom application controling the fan speeds. I am capable of playing games properly, by just keeping the framerates locked to a certain point - constant 100% load obviously will have problems with keeping the GPU cold.

However, disclaimer - I am not responsible for any damage to your computer by using explained method,

You're doing everything at your own risk!!!

What I basically did was checking out software called "ThinkPad Fan Control" (link: TPFanControl - it is not authorised by Lenovo iirc) which is basically custom control to the fan speed of thinkpad laptops.

I found out that particularly version 062 fixes the issue if properly set.

Application, after installing and rebooting the system should start in the background with user login, if it doesn't just go to:

C:\Program Files\TPFanControl

and start the TPFanControl.exe file to make the application start. It should start in minimized mode to system icon, you should see new one displaying current mode. Double click it to run the main window:

There, you have three options.

• BIOS: System default. Here you have system defaults, select it to make application stop tampering with your laptop default fan settings. In my case State changes to 128, which seems to be indicator that indeed it is working normally again.
  • Smart: Application's default. It enables the application to adjust fan speed accordingly to current temperatures. This setting has options for given temperatures in config file, as well as temperatures update frequency - everything is adjustable by user. Given temperature corresponds to given fan speed - going above certain level makes fan go with different speeds. I recommend having this one selected at all times since config file (if properly set) can get maximum performance as well as some degree of thermal security.
  • Manual: Constant fan speed. System always has the same fan speed, regardless of temperatures. I'd recommend avoiding it since heavier load(especially on i7 models) will lead to higher emission of heat, and might lead to permanent damage (melting motherboard might quite a bit impact the computer's health...)

My Lenovo E590 has 7 fan speed levels, 0 being little to none of a fan running, 7 being an airplane sounding 4700 RPM. Current fan state is shown in State box of main window, having 128 additionally as BIOS default speed control signal.

Smart mode settings are all in one file:

C:\Program Files\TPFanControl\TPFanControl.ini

It has several settings that are meant for different laptops, I personally didn't bother yet to edit any of those.

The only change I made in my current settings is under Smart mode 1, having fan speed 7 on all temperatures, like here:

// profile "Smart Mode 1"
// change values and number of items for your needs
// Celsius:         	// Fahrenheit: 

MenuLabelSM1=Smart Mode 1/  Label for Icon Menu, must be terminated by '/'

Level=60 7		// Level=140 0
Level=65 7		// Level=150 1
Level=75 7              // Level=165 3
Level=80 7		// Level=175 7
Level=90 7		// Level=195 64

This leads my laptop to ramp up fan to the max when starting to work. If I want it to be silent as usual, I just open up main window and select BIOS again to make it work silently and efficiently for all the other tasks.

Results are amazing, card works to its full potential, being throttled only when even the fan inside cant handle the load - and good example is keeping League of Legends on highest settings possible with no frame limiter. The normal work performance increased drastically too - processor is kept cooler as well, making it reach higher clocks without a hassle. This is all effect of this change - I didn't change thermal paste etc. myself yet - what should, in future, make it run even cooler than now.

Hope this helps you all too, at least until Lenovo decides to let users control their fans by default. Please let me know the results on different laptop versions - eX80, eX90, i5, i7 - all this data might help others too. I will check this thread from time to time and try to help, while enjoying Payday 2 with my new laptop ^^

Options

19 Posts

08-17-2019

Czech Republic

30 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 72 of 169

2019-09-13, 15:42 PM

Hypixus: I have E580, so pls take it as "version related reply".

1) I can confirm your program controls my fan - and does its job well, nice toy, configurable temperature-dependent. Can dramatically lower noise, but - it cannot overspeed the fan :-)

2) Shows a little lower temperature than my GPU-Z software, and - (for me) shows only CPU, and BIOS throtling is GPU dependent.

3) Playing Witcher3 seems get full performance from my machine, and makes (this test i made just now) this results: GPU-Z - GPU 83°C & CPU 76°C; FANcrtl - CPU 74°C & Fanlev 7 (Smart) | If i switched to Fanlev 128(BIOS) i got all one degree lower .

So W3 evidently exceedes possibilities of internal cooling - as i supposed, and i am stil affraid no software trick can handle it :-(

Mohsin_: yes, i bought one couple days ago. And results in today Witcher3 test: E580 layed on table GPU with GPU-Z: 83°C, on switched off pad 81°C, with full power external fan 76°C with FANCtrl, and 74°C without - (last measure after all tests, maybe without precendental overheet i could beat yesterday 72°C :-) ) Significantly better, but not enough to ensure avoid throttling (on E580). More details my yesterday post in E580Thread.

Options

19 Posts

08-17-2019

Czech Republic

30 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 73 of 169

2019-09-13, 21:18 PM

Hey, where is my RE about E580 tests? .... (rest of offensive reaction was removed by TT as admin gives explanation for automatical post removing.)

Options

19 Posts

08-17-2019

Czech Republic

30 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 74 of 169

2019-09-14, 11:32 AM

Sorry, I can not fully answer. (rest of message is removed by TT, as admin cites it lower, no need to lenghten forum by twice repeated misunderstanding.)

Options

8819 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77607 Signins

2216870 Page Views

• Views: 2216870
  • Message 75 of 169

2019-09-14, 15:23 PM

wrote:

Sorry, I can not fully answer. My RE post was twice wiped out without trace and without giving a reson.

Hope this post does not violate any Lenovo rule, but, who knows, the same i was thinking about its predecessors.

Maybe anyone of admins can tell us the reason, and sugesstion how to avoid, if we want to say their help is (from my side) nonsufficient, cause one year old problem is not a step closer to solution.

Your posts were nabbed by the automated spam filters.  Probably due to quick edits - which is one of the parameters used I belive, although the filter's operation is sometimes rather mysterious.  I've restored them to the thread.

[edit to add] And yes, if those parameters were uniformly applied, I wouldn't be able to post at all..

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

19 Posts

08-17-2019

Czech Republic

30 Signins

190 Page Views

• Message 76 of 169

2019-09-14, 18:54 PM
Sy, so "agressive" automat was something I could think about first. A was confused by seeng my posts on forum and - missing them by later visit. Would you be so kind adn accept my apologize for my following posts, they are "misguided" and inconveniently ofensive according to circumstances - and have no additive information value. Thank you
Options

21 Posts

09-11-2019

Poland

52 Signins

283 Page Views

• Message 77 of 169

2019-09-14, 20:03 PM

Thanks for your input, I will try those settings myself as well. Also, helpful thing I noticed is just turning on V-Sync and triple OpenGL buffering in AMD settings. Those prevent not only everywhere-being screen tearing(truely an eyesore with games like cs go and league of legends) but heat produced by overworked gpu - limiting frames accordingly to display capabilities. It is truely sad TW3 does not work well - I wished I could have it running on brand new laptop...

Options

37 Posts

07-29-2019

Egypt

63 Signins

538 Page Views

• Views: 538
  • Message 78 of 169

2019-09-15, 21:32 PM

I have tried the cpu fan control app.

• it's only controlling cpu fan but not GPU.
  • there is a slight performance improvement you can notice if GPU is not heavily loaded, such as LOL game, but when trying much more intensive graphics issue is very mush present.
  • not supported and if not used carefully may lead to cpu fan faliure or short life time.

I think we, community, have done every thing now. It's a design flaw (overheating) lead to failed remediation (throttling + offloading)

Moreover, ironically, this is not a support channel nor we have the enough support level to adequately push on Lenovo.

I will post a fair and honest technical review everywhere about how E580 and E590 SKUs with graphics cards are just waste of money.

Options

5 Posts

09-19-2019

Korea (the Republic of)

13 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 79 of 169

2019-09-19, 8:37 AM

Downgrade to Bios version 1.08 actually helps that problem.

Have you try it?

https://support.lenovo.com/kr/ko/downloads/ds506071

Options

21 Posts

09-11-2019

Poland

52 Signins

283 Page Views

• Message 80 of 169

2019-09-19, 8:54 AM

This means certainly downgrading microcode BEFORE whiskey lake processors one. Isn't this going to make motherboards with 9th gen processor dead? (mine is i5-8265u)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms