06-05-2010

USA MD

3 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad Edge Question

2010-06-05, 14:26 PM

I just bought Edge 14 and there was no windows 7 reinstallation cd. In a case of I need to format a hard drive, how do I reinstall the OS? Also the proper way to use battery and ac power with the laptop is use only one power source at a time right (I had thinkpad t61 and this was the case, but on edge 14 I see no battery indicator light so maybe this is not the case anymore?) so for example, if I'm using battery power then ac power needs to be unplugged and if using ac power then battery not inserted. I heard this way the battery capacity stays max. Can anyone verify this please? Thank you.

Options

40 Posts

05-19-2010

Texas, USA

129 Signins

627 Page Views

• Views: 627
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Thinkpad Edge Question

2010-06-05, 20:04 PM
The missing Windows CDs on modern computers annoys me too! Your question on the missing Windows CD inspired me to get my own backup media process completed. I wrote it all down and wanted to post it under an informative subject line. Go take a look at this message, it should answer your Windows CD questions!

New Users Do This! Backup media instructions. http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge/New-Users-Do-This-Backup-media-instructions/td-p/237802
Options

40 Posts

05-19-2010

Texas, USA

129 Signins

627 Page Views

• Views: 627
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Thinkpad Edge Question

2010-06-05, 20:16 PM
Removing the battery when connected to AC might make it last slightly longer, but the machines power manager should be handling that for you. I never take my battery out.

The power manager will not try to charge the battery if it is 'almost' full. For example, I use my Edge primarily in one room on AC power. I sometimes unhook the AC power and carry it into my office to print something for just a couple of minutes. When I return back to AC power, the battery will show something like 97%, and it wont charge up. Over a few days I'll disconnect to carry it into the office a few more times and it will eventually drop to 94% or 92% or something lower. Then it will charge back up to 100% the first time I get backto AC power. I'm not sure where the breakpoint is, but the power manager is smart enough not to even attempt to charge an almost full battery. Supposedly these new litheum-ion batteries don't have a 'memory', so they do not need to be fully discharged on each cycle like an old nickle-cadium battery would.

So I'd say leave the battery in all the time whether on AC or not.

But I'd also say if you have the time and patience to be your own 'power manager' by removing the battery whenever you weren't using it might make it last even longer!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms