Options

12 Posts

11-16-2020

SE

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 10

Thinkpad e14 gen 2 type 20T6 20T7 Ryzen7 Laptop Startup Issues: Blue Screen, Freezing, Breaking Up

2021-01-11, 8:03 AM

Hello!

I had the bad judgement to buy a Lenovo product in September 2020, 4-5 months ago ( Lenovo ThinkPad E14 14" bärbar dator R7/16 GB (svart) - Windows laptops - Elgiganten ),

I have been here before looking for support (ghost town.)

Posting this right now though hopefullyl someone at Lenovo is awake alive and at work. :)

This is an AMD Lenovo laptop with Windows 10.

NOTE: It crashed throughout an important project with Adobe XD (I posted  (very politely and clearly) in this ghost town community about it, thanks for the (0) help Lenovo). I know what brand I'm NOT buying for work after my course is over, and what brand I'm NOT buying my kids.

STATUS

• I have  a paid antivirus subscription, which I update and scan (full) every startup.
  • I also enable and scan with Windows Defender at least once a week.
  • I check Windows 10 and Windows Defender virus definition updates daily at startup.
  • PC is therefore updated regularly.

STARTUP ISSUE (screenshots attached)

1. Yesterday it just went off while watching Netflix with my kids.
  2. Restarted and got the BSOD blue screen which froze at 60%.
  3. This screen started displaying with horizontal green stripes
  4. Restarted again and it went to login, but the login screen was breaking up.
  5. Froze at restart around 60%.
  6. Managed to login, all seemed fine. Ran a Windows defender offline scan and let it restart. Froze during the scan.

I am posting from my older (<3 reliable Intel HP   <3) laptop.

How do I fix this. What is the issue? If anyone at lenovo has a clue, do let me know! Much appreciated.

Thank you

NOTE. When I bought it I 'registered' it when I created the zillion Lenovo IDS on Lenovo Passport etc and yet when I login it says I have not products registered, it had saved all the information and was displaying warranty information when I did it in September. Now it is blank. 

Options

12 Posts

11-16-2020

SE

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Re: Screenshots attached Thinkpad e14 gen 2 type 20T6 20T7 Ryzen7 Laptop Startup Issues: Blue Screen, Freezing, Breaking Up

2021-01-11, 8:48 AM

Options

12 Posts

11-16-2020

SE

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

Re: screenshot2 Thinkpad e14 gen 2 type 20T6 20T7 Ryzen7 Laptop Startup Issues: Blue Screen, Freezing, Breaking Up

2021-01-11, 8:49 AM

Options

12 Posts

11-16-2020

SE

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

Re:Screenshot3 Thinkpad e14 gen 2 type 20T6 20T7 Ryzen7 Laptop Startup Issues: Blue Screen, Freezing, Breaking Up

2021-01-11, 8:50 AM

It won't attached pictures to original and taking only one image per message so posting each separately

Options

1552 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

174 Signins

8156 Page Views

• Views: 8156
  • Message 5 of 10

Re:Thinkpad e14 gen 2 type 20T6 20T7 Ryzen7 Laptop Startup Issues: Blue Screen, Freezing, Breaking Up

2021-01-11, 11:06 AM

Hi webdev768,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If you want to get in contact with Lenovo Tech support for your country, the best way to do so is directly, through mail, e-ticket or phone. The Community Forums is just that, a community forums. With the amount of posts coming in every day, there's bound to be some that go un answered.

My guess would be that this is hardware and more specifically graphic/display card related. Especially with the combination of blue screening, freezing and breaking up.

Before we can determine that, please try some of the troubleshooting steps below:

Test 1 - Is the discoloration/disfiguration persistent when entering DOS/BIOS ? 
**To test this please turn off your computer fully and on startup, repeatedly press F1 to enter the BIOS. Is the discoloration/disfiguration still there ?
No: Software Issue (Continue on Step 1.)
Yes: On board LCD/Cable/Motherboard/Discrete GPU (Continue on Test 2.)

Test 2 - If applicable, please try to connect the laptop to an external/2nd monitor and see if the problem still happens.
No: On board LCD/Cable/Motherboard  
Yes: Onboard graphics card or Discrete Graphics Card(if available)/Motherboard.

**Note:  If the discoloration/disfiguration is present in BIOS (yes to any of the above tests), then this is a hardware issue, as bios does not load more then the absolute basic drivers for hardware. In this case, I'd suggest contacting Lenovo support for your country directly (mail, e-ticket, phone) and see what can be done. Most likely it will have to be sent in to be assessed by an authorized technician.

Step 1. Uninstall Display Device with drivers and reinstall:
- Press the Windows key + X and select "Device Manager"
- Expand "Display Adapters"
- Right click the AMD, NVIDIA and/or INTEL VGA devices and select "Uninstall"
- If prompted to uninstall drivers associated with the device, tick the box and continue.
- Perform a restart of the laptop. 

- If the problem persists, continue below:

Step 2. Static Discharge
- Remove all cables attached to the device (ac adapter/power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
- Ensure device is switched OFF
- Hold down power button for 60 seconds
- Re-attach all cables
- Connect the AC Adapter, then let the device charge for about 2 minutes (if it does) then start up as usual.

Step 3. BIOS reset
- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.
- Press the F1 repeatedly on startup to enter BIOS.
- Navigate to the "Restart" tab
- Press "Load Default Settings"
- Save & Exit changes or F10.

Step 4. System Board Updates.

Make sure you have the newest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O and Management Engine Interface drivers for your device: 
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software, select Manual Update, then select the BIOS and Chipset section
Right click the files in question and select "Run as Administrator".

**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing this update.

Step 5. Windows Reset/Recovery

In the event this does not help solve the issue, then I'd contact tech support and see what can be done.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

12 Posts

11-16-2020

SE

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

Thinkpad e14 gen 2 type 20T6 20T7 Ryzen7 Laptop Startup Issues: Blue Screen, Freezing, Breaking Up

2021-01-13, 6:14 AM
NOTE . Tried restarting, restarting with safe mode, reset this PC, rollback to earlier savepoint, safe mode with networking, reinstall windows, etc etc.. minute into the operation i get green stripes on the screen and it freezes.
Options

12 Posts

11-16-2020

SE

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

Re:Thinkpad e14 gen 2 type 20T6 20T7 Ryzen7 Laptop Startup Issues: Blue Screen, Freezing, Breaking Up

2021-01-13, 7:30 AM

Tried safemode, restart, repair, reinstall Windows, etc.. a few minutes in it freezes and gives me green stripes

Options

5983 Posts

06-27-2008

US

28696 Signins

1642668 Page Views

• Views: 1642668
  • Message 8 of 10

2021-01-14, 4:55 AM

I'm thinking this is a hardware problem, not software or drivers.

Since your machine is relatively new, and presumably under warranty, it may be time to use that warranty for service.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

12 Posts

11-16-2020

SE

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2021-01-14, 8:02 AM

Hello Voithos

Thank you for your reply, and the tips. I have lots of assignments to do so other than trying safemode, reset, reinstall, etc etc (froze with black stripes a few minutes in with every attempt) I haven't time to fix this myself.

I had created a support ticket and also called Lenovo, who asked I drop the device off at the shop I bought it, for repair.

So I took a leave of absence yesterday and dropped it off at the shop, and gave them the Lenovo ticket number as well. 

Googled a bit, it appears this has happened before with Lenovo machines.

The Graphics on this machine was pretty absymal. In online meetings I look like a grey ghost, whereas with my old i5 intel HP machine the colors are clear and vibrant. No adjustments possible either, I tried quite a bit. Heated up a bit too especially with Adobe products.

Anyway.

Regards!

Options

12 Posts

11-16-2020

SE

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2021-01-14, 8:05 AM

Hello NateS

Thank you for your feedback!

I left it in for service yesterday *Thumbs crossed*. 

As a student, this was quite the investment for me, but I wanted to get something good for my course and spare myself headaches, rather than something cheap secondhand.

(irony.)

Regards

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms