Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-22-2011

United kingdom

24 Signins

92 Page Views

• Views: 92
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad - e520

2011-06-22, 20:05 PM

I got my first ThinkPad e520 last week. I didn't want to rush to share my experience so took a week's usage to share my experience.

e520 - i5 -6GB - 500 GB - Windows 7 Home

Starting with positive feedback:

- Matt finish of the laptop feels really good and doesn't feel cheap for this price

- Chiclet keypad is also great to type

- Performance is good overall for personal use

- like usual ThinkPad - finger scan, touch pad is very good

- 720p webcam is also very good

- Lot of shortcut keys near num-pad like calc, lock, search and my computer are really useful

- Fast windows bootup

Now few points to raise your eyebrows,

- First thing I noticed was a stuck pixel about an inch lower left corner from center of the screen. I was advised no replacement will be done for 1 stuck pixel and only option was to return this laptop by warranty team. I loved this laptop so much that I thought I will live with stuck pixel but after using it for a week I felt it was very annoying so will call service department tomorrow and ask them once again if they can do anything about this stuck pixel, else I am gonna return it and get a new one. Also I tried all the options which are floating in the internet to fix stuck pixel but nothing solved my problem. If the stuck pixel was at the corners you can try to ignore it but since it is right at the center of the screen you got to see it to know how annoying it would be :smileysad:

- Lot of flux in 'F' and 'J' keys and another small issue but annoying once you starting typing a lot

- had issues with sound card once I installed Skype but resolved it once I upgraded Conexant 20671 sound card driver to 8.32.23.51version (thanks to a post in some forum)

- I was able to play all full HD videos that I had but I personally didn't like the picture quality of HD video but it is definitely not bad since my expectations are high

jai
Options

2484 Posts

04-11-2011

Malaysia

1300 Signins

16673 Page Views

• Views: 16673
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Thinkpad - e520

2011-06-27, 2:48 AM
hey jai,

thank you so much for your nutshell commentary about E520.

looking at this post, i see that you're pleased with your purchase except for some minor annoyance such as the dead pixels.

truly sorry about that but replacement can only be done if it is 3 dead pixels or more.

as for the flux in "f" and "j" keys, could you help us by explaining more ?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Options

31 Posts

06-07-2011

Santa Barbara, CA

33 Signins

480 Page Views

• Views: 480
  • Message 3 of 4

2011-06-27, 20:52 PM

It seems that I may have the same issue with the "f'" and "j" keys. The two keys are slightly higher than the rest of the keys. When you press the other keys, it is a nice soft action. When you press the f and j keys it feels like they are just dropping down - not smooth like the other keys.

Options

3 Posts

06-22-2011

United kingdom

24 Signins

92 Page Views

• Views: 92
  • Message 4 of 4

2011-07-01, 21:09 PM
Perfectly described by @seestone. 'f' n 'j' keys are not smooth to type and makes plastic noise when pressed.
jai
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms