Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-12-2017

Hungary

14 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 1 of 4

Unable to extend laptop display to second monitor

2017-09-14, 6:57 AM

Hi,

I just got my brand new Thinkpad E570 i5 7200U with NVIDIA GeForce 940MX. I installed windows 10 64 bit but I'm not able to extend my screen to a second display. I get the error:

"Your pc cannot project to another screen. Try reinstalling the driver or using a different videocard"

I checked the display adapters in device manager. I have two items:

- Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

- NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

I tried to install the below display drivers from lenovo site :

1., Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad E470, E570. This one fails with the error message: "Tihs computer does not meet minimum requrements for isntalling the software"

2., ThinkPad Video Features (NVIDIA N16S/N16V/N16P) Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad E470, E570. This one fails with: This app can't run on your PC To find a version check with software developer

All the drivers I have are from the appropriate lenovo source but both graphics driver failed to install and I'm not able effectively use my laptop. Any help would be appretiated. 

Options

16 Posts

02-10-2017

United States of America

14 Signins

186 Page Views

• Views: 186
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Unable to extend laptop display to second monitor

2019-01-14, 3:40 AM

Having the exact same problem, but on a different laptop model and driver, but also only started very recently and with Windows 10 x64. 

In our case we have a Lenovo Thinkpad T430s, originally with Windows 7. We installed Windows 10 x64 almost a year ago, and we've been able to extend the display without issue to our external monitor, while the primary display is still on the laptop.

For some reason about a week ago this stopped working. I did not install any new driver. When trying to extend the display (Fn+F7) on Windows 10 a side bar pops up titled "PROJECT" and says: "Your PC can't project to another screen. Try reinstalling the driver or using a different video card."

The currently installed driver is for NVIDIA NVS 5200M, driver date: 2/27/2018, driver version: 23.21.13.8908.

I ran Lenovo System Update, which states there is a new driver ("Thinkpad Video Features (NVIDIA Optimus / Quadro) - 10 [64]", driver version: 23.21.13.9125. However, when I try to install the driver using System Update, although it says it has downloaded successfullly and installed successful and calls for a reboot, after reboot the version still shows the old one. I tried this multiple times without success.

I even tried to uninstall the current driver (and delete it from the system) and when I do so it now shows driver 22.21.13.8299. I try to extend the display. Same error as I mentioned above. I then try to reinstall the newest driver with System Update and it still doesn't work and after reboot shows the driver version hasn't changed.

I unstainlled that last driver as well and used 22.21.13.8205. Same: extend doesn't work and reinstalling the newest driver doesn't work.

I know this isn't a hardware issue with the laptop because if I go into the BIOS, I can change the display to use VGA instead of the default display, and the laptop information appears on the monitor. When Windows loads up and I login, it's showing on the mointor as the primary display. However, if I try to extend the display, again it doesn't work and comes back with the exact same error: "Your PC can't project to another screen..." 

I know this isn't a hardware problem with the monitor because I can extend the display of my Lenovo W541 without issue to this same monitor.

I even tried using the Mini Display Port on the back of the monitor, and the error is the same. Again, I can go into the BIOS and tell the laptop to go through the Display Port and it works and sends the view to the monitor, but it won't extend to the laptop.

This looks 100% like a driver problem. However, Lenovo's latest driver doesn't appear to allow me to install it, and so I have no idea what to do next. EXTREMELY frustrating, especially since this worked 2 weeks ago without any changes what so ever.

Options

16 Posts

02-10-2017

United States of America

14 Signins

186 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2019-01-14, 4:00 AM

Oh, and another thing. There is this NVIDIA driver, but I noticed I don't see an Intel graphics driver even though some other articles online about the T430 claim there should be one. OK. 

So I search for "T430s Intel graphics driver" and find this guy: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103427. It downloads the g1dt003w.exe file, which I extract and attempt to install. It says it's installing "Intel Graphics Driver", and looks like it tries to install two things:

Installing Driver: Intel(R) Display Audio

Version: 6.16.00.3154

Installing Driver: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Version: 10.18.10.4425

Even though the first driver appears to install OK (audio driver), a popup appears when installing the graphics driver: "Error: The setup program failed to install one or more device drivers. Setup will exit." 

So far this doesn't work either.

Options

16 Posts

02-10-2017

United States of America

14 Signins

186 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2019-01-14, 4:13 AM

Next: Try to find and install the Intel driver directly, from Intel's website. I do a search for "Intel graphics driver HD 4000 Windows 10" and get to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28164/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81499.

I download this file and run it. It is installing:

Installing Driver: Intel(R) Display Audio

Version: 6.16.00.3154 (same as above)

Installing Driver: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Version: 10.18.10.5059 (oh! this is newer!)

This time it works! I'm prompted to and restart the computer. Unfortunately I still see the Microsoft basic driver being used and don't see the Intel one in the Device Manager anywhere.

I've also seen articles about the the Intel Graphics Control Panel, but don't see that installed on the system. Try to install it via the Microsoft Store, but that gives some stupid Microsoft error and won't download. 

Sigh.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms