Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

05-04-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 2

Yoga 11e battery expanded/ exploded

2021-05-04, 23:07 PM

I have a Yoga 11e Thinkpad which has been handling moderate regular use since I purchased it in 2016. But with the move to online, I needed bigger and faster, so retired it to travel/  backup use. I had been using it about 5-6 times a month, and just a few days ago. I unplugged it afterwards, because I had other things in need of that outlet.

Today I needed to check for an old file...and discovered the case has split at the seams, and the keyboard is bulging.  It's not warm to the touch, but very clearly something inside has expanded a lot.

I see Lenovo has had some battery recalls for exploding batteries, but I can't find anything on my model, and of course it being older, there's no "contact customer service" option.

So what do I do with my exploding Lenovo? Battery removal seems like it will involve removing a lot of screws, and is it even safe?

Meanwhile, I'm looking at my new Lenovo with some serious suspicion.

Options

4770 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4745 Signins

54592 Page Views

• Views: 54592
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Yoga 11e battery expanded/ exploded

2021-05-05, 1:31 AM

That is one of the problems with Lithium Batteries as they age; they can break down and start to emit a gas that causes them to swell.    It is pretty easy to remove the base cover on your laptop and remove the battery, but there are some risks, so you should do so in a well ventilated area, and wear rubber gloves and safety goggles/glasses.    If you are not comfortable doing so yourself, any reputable computer shop should be able to remove it for you. 

Once you remove the battery, store it in a fireproof container (preferably not inside your house), until such time as you can recycle it at an appropriate e-waste facility.    

Lenovo has removal and replacement videos online available here https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht505031     Search the site for 11E and select the Yoga 11e model you have to view the videos.

A replacement battery can be found here:  https://lenovo.encompass.com/item/10625111/Lenovo/45N1749/     Lenovo sourced its batteries from several manufacturers, LG and Simplo etc, and the one on Lenovo's Encompass appears to be manufactured by LG.

FYI     If you plan on storing a device with lithium batteries for a long period of time, it is best to run the battery down to around 40-50%.

Best of luck,

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms