Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-01-2010

Sweden

14 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 21 of 30

Re: my thoughts on the Edge

2010-03-07, 10:10 AM

erik, thanks for the response! Yes, the sound does go away on higher power plans and I'm now very sure it's only there when the CPU is idle. It's still a bit annoying since I like using the laptop without the AC adapter at the university, is there something I can do to fix it or will it go away with time or something?

I'm also having some troubles with the 3.5mm headphone output, especially when the AC adapter is plugged in some noise appears in the background, varying in strength from barely noticeable to incredibly annoying. I'll probably make a proper thread for it later.

Still very satisfied, mind you.

Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 22 of 30

2010-03-07, 16:49 PM

go into the BIOS and select Config > Power > CPU Power Management and change it from Automatic to Disabled.   the system might run a bit hotter as a result but the sound should go away.

not sure what's going on with your headphone jack.   you may want to call support and see what they have to say about it.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Message 23 of 30

2010-03-15, 8:54 AM

Options

15 Posts

02-20-2010

France

8 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 24 of 30

2010-03-16, 12:31 PM

Hi,

back to give you some thoughts about my Edge Intel 7300 with matte black cover.

* design : nice form factor, soft design, good matte paint, without fingerprints

* lid : I confirm I was disappointed by the flex, but the other parts are rock solid, notably the keyboard

* weight : very good for a 13" screen, of course when you're a road warrior as me

* screen : good resolution (I use 1280X720 with the task bar on the left), correct level of brightness, but too glossy for an outdoor use

* keyboard : the major part of this PC : fantastic !!!

* pointing devices : I begin to use the trackpad (when I'm in my car, with my right hand and the PC on passenger seat, of course when stopped!) ; BT mouse when office use is a nice additionnal device

* touchpad : works well, some difficulties for settings on beginning ; caution : bugs between trackpad and touchpad when the both are enabled : choose default settings to avoid it ; multitouch of Ultranav is complete, notably with touch zones in the 4 corners

* embedded softwares : interesting Lenovo Thinkvantage tools ; but heavy to set and heavy to use if you set all the softwares : don't use the recovery soft if it's a parsonal PC, cause it's too long

* battery : the other major part of this PC ; 6 hours with the default settings, only by changing the brightness in outdoor use; fast charging and great stamina

* USB ports : I would prefer another locations on the sides, near the screen, to keep out of hands movements; SD card is'nt completly inserted

* I did'nt already test HDMI port on my TV screen, but I tested video steaming : no pb on 720p steaming, but somme lags on 1080p (perhaps cause of my modem, limited in 54Mb/sec (WIFI g norm)

* connectivity : excellent !! : Ethernet, WIFI or integrated 3G (french supplier : Orange fr) are working very good  ; some difficulties to set the parameters with the Lenovo Access Connections soft, but now works nice; certainly the third major point of this PC

* processor and integrated graphic card : sufficient for a basic multitask use, don't hope gaming, even with old games as Silent Hunter 3, which I'd to uninstall cause processor's frequency recognized as a Core solo 1,3 Ghz

OK, I stop here.

To resume :

* Pros : connectivity, keyboard and battery

* Cons : bright screen, ports location and SD slot

* neutral : Lenovo tools softwares to simplify

Don't forget you're using an ultraportable PC, for small business and travels ; if also the case for you,  the goal is easily reached.

Plse apologize a new time for my approximate language.

Hoping this short review will be usefull for someone,

greatings from France.

Options

15 Posts

02-20-2010

France

8 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 25 of 30

2010-04-03, 9:50 AM

For your info, Password Manager is not compatible with Firefox 3.6.

This post to Lenovo, to see how they can arrange this issue with Mozilla???

awaiting an answer,

B/R.

Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Message 26 of 30

2010-04-03, 11:54 AM

wrote:

For your info, Password Manager is not compatible with Firefox 3.6.

This post to Lenovo, to see how they can arrange this issue with Mozilla???

awaiting an answer,

B/R.

there is a workaround to this issue posted here.

Options

112 Posts

04-03-2010

's-Hertogenbosch

2664 Signins

6236 Page Views

• Views: 6236
  • Message 27 of 30

2010-04-03, 16:19 PM

Yesterday I received my new Thinkpad Edge 13. Overall build quality seems OK, however I have some doubts on the lid and hinge construction. On the left side of the left hinge the lid seems to be very slightly bend and leaving some extra space between the lid and the bottom.

Here's an image a took: http://i39.tinypic.com/9fpky8.jpg

I wonder if this should be like this?

Options

5 Posts

07-13-2010

USA

5 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 28 of 30

2010-07-16, 6:55 AM

my previous computer was an $1100 dollar acer which was purchased just last year and was damaged

accidentally. In comparison to that one, this one is much less troublesome but not without its issues.

Keep in mind we mostly remember the negative things (humans like to complain by nature). Here is

the good:

- reasonable build but not as good as the significatnly more expensive acer

- good keyboard and screen

- lightweight (no DVD which i use about once a year is ok)

The (longer list of) bad

-ethernet located to close to front

-mic location not good, it gets covered up somewhat by your left palm.

-trackpad is somewhat unresponsive, since move to the red button and works nice

-need to almost close the screen to remove the battery

- lenovo thinkvantage utilities take long time to start (SU 7300 on mine)

- how to remove those thinkvantage utilities from the taskbar ?

-no LEDs to monitor things like hard disk or wifi. its nice to be able to immediately see disk, cpu, wifi, etc activity

given this is a budget computer, i guess its ok.

hardware issues

- the screen inexplicabily dims a wee bit and a slight humming noise appears on occasion.

- Screen turns black suddenly at times. seems to happen when i am using skype. NO way to get it back

so just hibernate it and resume, then it works well

-mic cuts out when using skype's automatic control of mic volume. I used this feature in skype for

past 3 computers w/o such issues. if i disable skype auto control then seems ok. need to monitor this one.

the bugs here are somewhat minor (with exception of #3 if it continues) compared to my previous acer (where

wifi would randomly shut itself off for example. given the complexity of computers, some bugs are not surprising.

Options

9 Posts

07-13-2010

Denmark

25 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 29 of 30

2010-07-16, 21:11 PM

"- Screen turns black suddenly at times. seems to happen when i am using skype. NO way to get it back

so just hibernate it and resume, then it works well"

Weird i get the exact same thing and i don't have skype installed, I get out of it either with a hibernate/slumber and a wake up, or by switching between multiscreen -> back to internal screen only via f5 (projector key), (hit f5 twice, then enter, screen comes back up in some projector or multi screen setting switch back to internal monitor only and it works ,until it happens again).

While the screen is dark the computer is still running the screen is just off, and wont come back through any keypresses or mouse movements, I have typed text while the screen was black and have it be in my text editor when i got it back by switching screen output (f5 function key) and back. This is actually my only major problem with the machine atm.

It hasnt happened alot while it was on battery more when it was plugged into the charger. Any idea wha'ts causing it, I have disabled all powersaving functions in the thinkvantage tools and windows and it still occurs, Maybe it switches to external monitor only ??

Any thoughts from a Lenovo guy/girl ? Are you aware of this issue?

Options

5 Posts

07-13-2010

USA

5 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 30 of 30

2010-08-18, 4:21 AM

right, nothing to do with Skype. It just happens I use skype alot but even when i am typing an email it goes

blank.

getting more and more annoying. tried the function key and didnt work for me. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms