Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
protonpusher
What's DOS?
Views: 1,856
Message 1 of 3

5 GHz wifi options for Edge 15

I am lookng into purchasing an Edge 15, but have a question about the the wifi. I would like to use the 5GHZ wifi n. It looks like the built in wifi for the edge series is Thinkpad BGN, and it only supports 2.4 GHz wifi n.

Is there a fairly simple way to implement 5GHz wifi? I was looking at a USB adapter Linksys WUSB600N Dual Band Wireless, and it looks like the way to go. I am a bit nervous though since my understanding is the Lenovo Bios does not allow users to change the wifi connection, and only Lenovo approved cards are allowed. I have been looking for a list of approved devices though, and could only find anything that useful.

Thanks

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,801
Message 2 of 3

Re: 5 GHz wifi options for Edge 15

Hi protopusher, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

USB adapters will work, and do not have to be approved by Lenovo.

Internal Mini PCI Express cards DO have to be approved by Lenovo. The approved cards are listed in the Hardware Maintenance Manual:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/migr-39298.html

The dual-band Intel 6200 and 6250 are listed.

You could try to find a standard Edge 15 configuration with one of those cards already installed (there are some in the slbook).

Or your could buy the card separately. It must be from Lenovo with the Lenovo part number. Any other part will give a BIOS error.

FWIW, 5GHz gives shorter range than 2.4GHz. If the 2.4GHz spectrum at your location is extremely crowded or subject to interference, 5GHz is worth trying.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Newman1
Punch Card
Views: 1,766
Message 3 of 3

Re: 5 GHz wifi options for Edge 15

I have just bought a new thinkpad edge 15 2 weeks ago and I love it - It is all working fine and I have been looking at buying a new dual band router.

I am disappointed that my new lap top doesnt support 5ghz.

I am considering buying a netgear WNDR3700 which has dual band so it looks like I am going to have to buy a USB Network Adapter such as a Cisco Linksys Ultra Range Plus Dual Band wireless N USB Network Adapter WUSB600N or the Net gear Range Max Dual Ban USB 2.0 WNDA 3100.

These two look like they will do the same job and the Cisco is £30 comapred to £52 for ht eNEt gear so if the cisko does the job i would go for that one.

Can anyone advise me as to whether or not these two adapters will do the job of giving me 5ghz solution.

Also can anyone Please tell me how I can check if my Lenovo can take 5ghz.  

My Specific machine is Lenovo TP Edge 15 0302 47g Serial Number LRYALKD

I have a very detailed systems analysis tool which gives masses of detailed breakdowns of every aspect of the lap top - all softwre and hardware components so if you can tell me what I need to be looking for I can go and have  a look

The details for themain network cards are as follows - these are basic but I can give the detailed breakdown of the netwrok cards if required.

Network Adapter 1

Model   11b/g/n  Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter II

Status   Connected

MAC Address     5C-AC-4C-BB-09-19

Type      WIRELESS LAN

Speed   86 Mbps

Network Adapter 2

Model   Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter

Description        [16] Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter

Status   Connected

Network Adapter 3

Model   HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Network Card