Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

06-12-2013

Florida

8 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 1 of 3

After installing ram, loud beep and computer shuts off.

2013-07-19, 4:15 AM

So i have a e430 laptop. It has 4 gigs of ram. I was at bestbuy today decided to buy another 4 gig stick by pny. I put it in. snapped into place and when i turn on the computer it seems like it would turn on (nothing shows on the screen) beeps and turns off. I even swapped them in different places. I thought maybe its because they cant be paird. So took the old one out and put the new one in and it still does it. I put the old one back in alone and works fine. Is it just a bad stick or is there compatibility issues. They are both ddr3 rams (obviously it wouldnt fit if I didnt) so what am i doing wrong or is it just a faulty stick?

Options

89 Posts

04-16-2013

SoCal

804 Signins

2168 Page Views

• Views: 2168
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: After installing ram, loud beep and computer shuts off.

2013-07-19, 16:44 PM

The possibilities I can think of are --

#1 - Your motherboard/BIOS only supports 4 GB of ram.  Check specs.  I checked 8 GB is supported.

#2 - The memory module you bought is incompatible.  Go to pny website and input your make/model for their recommendation.  Laptops are a little fussier than desktops and form factor is only one parameter.

#3 - The memory module you bought is defective. Possible but I think least likely.

Good luck.

Options

11 Posts

07-15-2013

NY

78 Signins

216 Page Views

• Views: 216
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: After installing ram, loud beep and computer shuts off.

2013-07-19, 17:46 PM

As was said above, its possible that the memory is faulty.  Another possibility is that the memory is the wrong speed.  Check the supported speeds for your machine and see if its compatible with the memory.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms