10-03-2012

Austria

21 Signins

393 Page Views

• Views: 393
  • Message 1 of 2

After restoring factory-settings Windows creates no restoring points

2012-10-04, 11:54 AM

After restoring (with F11) to the factory-settings I have suddenly four Drives and NO! working restore points, not one. Even after installing a few of the usual Windows Updates there is no restoring point. Primarily Windows 7 makes restore points after every system change or file change. Why Windows 7 has all drives disabled to make restore points after I have restored to the factory-set? Typically, Windows 7 is adjusted to create restore points.

Also very strange is the circumstance that now I have four different Drives.

The settings for the available restore drives after restoring to the factory-settings are (Control Panel/System/System protection, then the section Protection Setting/Available Drives, then the Button Configure restore settings…/Configure):

Restore Settings:

System protection for SYSTEM_DRV

Restore system settings and previous versions of files ---> not selectable
Only restore previous versions of files ---> selectable
Turn off system protection ---> selected

Windows7_OS ( C: ) (System)

Restore system settings and previous versions of files ---> selectable

Lenovo_Recovery ( Q: )

Restore system settings and previous versions of files ---> not selectable

Windows7_OS ( C: ) (non-existend)

Restore system settings and previous versions of files ---> selected (but grayed out)
Turn off system protection ---> selectable

The section Disc Space Usage shows:
On all four drives the slide control of the Max Usage is positioned at 0.

Does anyone have an idea why I have now four drives and the complete restore point generating is not working? Why is the Lenovo restoring not really a restore to the original factory-settings?

Options

59 Posts

09-15-2012

Los Gatos, CA

50 Signins

673 Page Views

• Views: 673
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: After restoring factory-settings Windows creates no restoring points

2012-10-07, 5:24 AM

I don't know why you would have four drives.  Three would make sense, but the fourth is pretty nonsense.

What I would do is make recovery discs, then remove the last two and expand my primary partition (what windows call C:\) into that space.  Something like Linux Parted Magic would make it super easy.

But I cannot say whether this would fix the restore points.  I am a linux user, and if I want snapshots I just make my filesystem btrfs.  All this propritary restore point mumbo jumbo is particularly foreign to me (and way too overly complex).  

Just to make you jealous, I will tell you that with btrfs, you can make snapshots whenever you please (or set it up to take snapshots at regular intervals or whatever).  If you want to roll back (restore to a point), you simply indicate that you would like to mount a snapshot instead of the main, and like magic system is restored.  This also allows you to simply choose to go back to the original if you please.  It is instant, and it is reliable.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete