Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickr12345
What's DOS?
Views: 6,710
Message 1 of 10

Battery Drain Issue

My customer has a Thinkpad Edge 14 with a mysterious battery drain problem. In 24 hours it will drain 10%. After replacing the battery and the system board it drained 25% after 64 hours this weekend. Always On USB feature is disabled and no external devices are plugged in. Wake On Lan is not enabled either. The battery has been reset. Lenovo support was unable to shed any light on this matter.

Could this simply be a characteristic of the lot of batteries for this model? What else could be draining the battery when it is powered off and unplugged.  And yes, it is powered off, not hibernating and not in sleep mode.

Thanks for any suggestions. Also if you have experienced similar issues please chime in!

Smiley Happy

sm0ken
What's DOS?
Views: 6,734
Message 2 of 10

Battery not holding charge

I have fully charged the battery a couple ot times and when I turn the computer on a couple of days later, it has drained all the way down to 17% and is asking me to recharge the battery.  This computer is 3 weeks old.  I have an Edge 14 with Intel.  Can anyone help.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 6,695
Message 3 of 10

Re: Battery not holding charge

Are you going into Standby or Hibernation/off when you shut down?

How is your normal runtime with a fully charge battery? Does it appear to have a full charge when you use it from 100%?

amitd
Paper Tape
Views: 6,653
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

I am also facing same problem with my battery.

As I tried with selecting shut down option against the options mentioned by you...

but still the battery gets discharged by some percent.

please update . . .

Thanks in advance.

amitd
Paper Tape
Views: 6,651
Message 5 of 10

Re: Battery Drain Issue

Hi,

Similar problem is listed in "Battery not holding charge" topic.

hope this is not a manufacturing fault of battery?

htepsduh
What's DOS?
Views: 6,557
Message 6 of 10

I'm having the same problem. It was suggested to me that I should turn off the "allow hybrid sleep" feature in advanced power features. However, in my case that hasn't resolved the issue.

I'm inclined, at this point, to uninstall the ThinkVantage Power Management service but I'd like the know for sure that this will fix the problem before I uninstall something that cannot be reinstalled.

th3robsta
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,401
Message 7 of 10

Re: Battery Drain Issue

The steps below should help.

- Make sure using the latest BIOS. (They always include fixes for battery drain)

- Make sure using latest Thinkvantage Power Management.

- Go to BIOS Disable Wake on LAN, Wake on Link and anything else wake on related.

- Go to Device manager and disable Wake on Lan on Network card.

- Go to device manager and check power management settings, allow computer to shut off option, on all usb items.

Issues are most likely BIOS/Windows OS configuration not the battery.

- If you want to go further, double check the Windows OS wak_ armed devices in CMD "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" Then check all the power saving options listed in device manager.

- Also to diagnose battery issue, disconnect AC and Battery. Then reconnect the battery only and wait to see if the battery drains at all, probably not I bet. If not then you know its BIOS/Windows OS related.
Good luck.

Happy to help Smiley Happy
- IBM Worker, Australia
cefe
Serial Port
Views: 5,730
Message 8 of 10

Don't bother to do it: I tried and it was no use. As a matter of fact I discovered that even after uninstalling some data related to power manager remains in the Registry. Such is the case with the keys that govern when the charger starts charging and up to which level.
I wasn't able to make them work by editing the registry and seeing that the battery still drained I reinstalled the power manager: at least I can set the charging threshold and ceiling.
Vince69
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,720
Message 9 of 10

Hello guys,

It's a battery firmware problem. Needs to be updated.

Check there : http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70811

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

zoonunit
Paper Tape
Views: 2,525
Message 10 of 10

Check out this post I made earler for an explanation of battery drain issues.  Battery drain on the Yoga 14

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors