Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Message 1 of 3 (1,372 Views)

Battery Firmware update - failed and now will not recognize a good battery

I have an E420 Thinkpad; NO problems ever with the laptop...a great machine.  I ran some updates and the Lenovo update wanted to update the battery firmware; there have never been any problems with my battery (I have an extended battery), but wanted to update as recommended. 

- When I ran the update, I got a "the tool was unable to update the battery firmware due to an internal error"...and then it automatically rebooted. 

- Once it rebooted, I now get a DOS warning (on initial boot) "this system does not support batteries that are not genuine Lenovo....." and I have to hit escape to continue.

- When it boots up, I get a battery icon that shows either "plugged in and charging" with a RED X imbedded in the icon.

- The laptop does not recognize the battery.  Even though it was in good condition and had a 95% charge when I first ran the firmware update....the laptop will not operate without hte power plug attached.

- When I go to the power manager and the battery tab, I get a "battery was completely discharged and needs to be recharged verbiage

- I have tried to re-run the firmware update from the update tool, but to no success. 

- I have tried to run the firmware update by downloading the install .exe file and running from my desktop....to no success.

- I have tried to do a system restore, but it did not work.

- I have screen shots of the screens mentioned as needed.

Help!  I now have a small desktop that has a closeable lid.  It will not run if the power plug is disconnected. 

Thank you!!!  Casey

Punch Card
Message 2 of 3 (871 Views)

Re: Battery Firmware update - failed and now will not recognize a good battery

I have the same issue.

Waiting for the software update or workaround

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 3 (648 Views)

Re: Battery Firmware update - failed and now will not recognize a good battery

I have the same issue too Hope they can fix this soon
Top kudoed Authors