Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lusogomes
Paper Tape
Views: 562
Message 1 of 3

Black screen on power on in Thinkpad Edge E130

Hello,

I have seen various posts about similar problems, though not on Edge E130. Tried their solutions, to no avail.

The screen is black. No faint image. Machine powers up (LEDs glow, noise of fan and hard disk). I have no external video connection. Have tried taking battery out, pressing on button for 1 minute, plugging machine to power (no battery) and restart. No success. Did not initiate any kind of update (certainly not BIOS!), upgrade or new software install (though the machine has been asking to upgrade to Windows 10, which I have not done yet). Running Windows 8.1 (as far as I can remember, as I cannot actually check - the screen is black). 

AVG antivirus, updated and fully run about one week ago.

Help? Please?

Guru
Views: 513
Message 2 of 3

Re: Black screen on power on in Thinkpad Edge E130

What happens if you connect an external monitor to the machine? If that works, it means your graphics card is still okay. So issue might be with the LCD or a BIOS setting (external display first)

If you still have a black screen you may likely need motherboard replacement.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

lusogomes
Paper Tape
Views: 507
Message 3 of 3

Re: Black screen on power on in Thinkpad Edge E130

Hi Jonas,

Thank you for your help. I have now connected it to our TV using HDMI, I can see the screen no problem (panic averted there...). Don't really want to go into BIOS without knowing for sure what to do... Would you be able to point me to the right direction?

Also, when I connected it to the TV, I am sure I could see the ThinkPad screen flicker from pitch black to light black. Is this relevant?

Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors