Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
njbraun
What's DOS?
Views: 908
Message 1 of 2

Blue Screen when restoring Thinkpad Edge 13

I'm trying to restore the default installation of Windows 7 and restore partition to my Thinkpad Edge 13.  After I bought the laptop, I created a backup image of both C and the restore partition to a USB thumbdrive I have (8GB).  I saved that thumbdrive to an image for later use (MD5 and all so I knew it was good).

Anyways, I reformatted the entire HD and installed linux.  I've been using that for a while, but I'd like to restore windows back, so I got out my 8GB usb thumb drive, reloaded the image I had saved off before and booted my ThinkPad Edge 13 with the usb thumb drive.

It loaded up just fine and asked me if I wanted to restore just C, or C and the backup partition (everything), I said Everything and off it went without warning.  After successfully completing it told me to remove all devices and it would reboot.

It did that and came up like it was about to start booting windows (staring windows), just as the swirly balls start to form the windows logo, it blue screened.  It rebooted and immediately goes to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen giving me options to "Start Windows Normally" or the various safe mode options.  None of the options on this screen help.  It always gets semi into booting windows than blue screens.

Now, I've verified that the img I loaded onto the USB checked out MD5, and I've put it onto the USB drive and flashed the laptop twice, so I know the data is correct.  Still for some reason, I can't seem to boot back into Windows...

Any suggestions guys?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 876
Message 2 of 2

Re: Blue Screen when restoring Thinkpad Edge 13

On your original installation, there should have been a small partition, 100mb, that contained windows 7 boot files.  That might not have gone over to your image.

In windows 7, in control panel, backup and restore, there's an option to make a system repair disc and a system image.  You could've used the system repair disc to restore the boot files.

If you don't have that, you could use a windows 7 retail disc to get to the repair console or if you know of somebody that has windows 7 that could burn you a copy of the repair disc, that would work also.

That system repair disc will work on any version of windows 7 and it can be taken from any machine, doesn't matter what make.  I tested mine on various installations of windows 7 and it worked on every one.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors