Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Absinthe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 762
Message 1 of 8

Brand New Edge 15 Display Blacks Out?

My Edge 15" arrived a few days ago, and within a day of using it, I noticed an issue with the display. Every so often it completely blacks out for 2 or 3 seconds, and then returns. I have phoned Lenovo regarding the issue, and they suggested I turn up my power settings and update drivers. I've done this but the problem persists.

I think I should mention also that I have been using AC power since I received the laptop. In researching this screen issue, I've seen accounts of people who have experienced something similar when switching power sources. As far as I can tell, this is not the same thing.

So has anyone else experienced this or can help in any way? I am worried it's a hardware issue that will worsen with time (my previous laptop had nightmarish screen flicker problems).

Thanks.

Former Employee
Views: 673
Message 2 of 8

Re: Brand New Edge 15 Display Blacks Out?

hey Absinthe (awesome drink btw)

curious to know, does it happen if you have the AC power connected and the battery remove ?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Crunchy
Paper Tape
Views: 650
Message 3 of 8

I have exactly the same problem as described in the original post with my new Edge 15''. I too have been using AC power and did not switch power sources. Could this be a hardware problem (e.g. an overheating GPU)? I'd be grateful for any ideas!

Thanks! 

Absinthe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 634
Message 4 of 8

I will remove the battery and test that very soon, Serge.

Actually, the problem seems to go away with power settings set all the way up to high performance. I tried manually adjusting the idle timers for display brightness and such after a certain time, but the problem then comes back. Looks like I can't make any adjustments in Power Manager without having these black outs.

Any insight into what could be causing this? I'd like to be able to save energy and still have a screen that behaves.

Crunchy
Paper Tape
Views: 598
Message 5 of 8

Crunchy
Paper Tape
Views: 590
Message 6 of 8

Sorry for the empty post. It was Internet Explorer's fault.

The problem occurs for me in any power situation, i.e. with battery plugged in and AC power connected, with battery removed and AC power connected and with battery plugged in and AC power disconnected. The problem disappeared however after I removed Win 7 and installed Win XP. I would like to reinstall Win 7 however. Is there anything I can do to avoid the problem when running Win 7?

Thanks!

Crunchy
Paper Tape
Views: 587
Message 7 of 8

Might the problem be solved by installing the latest drivers for "Intel HD Graphics" from the Intel support page:

http://tinyurl.com/y4zqwjb

I don't want to reinstall Win 7 just to find out that the latest drivers don't help. So i'd be grateful for any input. Thanks!

Absinthe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 562
Message 8 of 8

Hey Crunchy,

The first thing the Lenovo tech support representative did when I called about the issue was update my graphics driver remotely. It did nothing. In fact, when I updated all drivers later through Lenovo, I experienced problems with the trackpad and the Synaptics driver I d/led. I had to roll that update back. One possibility is that this happened with another driver relating to the display, but I can't recall if it was before or after getting up to date after the initial setup of Win7 that the screen began having black-outs.

You said that you uninstalled Windows 7 and installed Windows XP. Is it still the case that the problem is totally gone on XP? Did your XP installation come pre-installed with Lenovo's ThinkVantage software? If everything's all right in XP, that lessens the probability that it's a hardware issue, I suppose. That's a little comforting in itself. My best guess is that the Power Management app is the culprit here. When I turn my settings up to High, the problem subsides, however I don't see this as a resolution, it just exchanges one problem for another (the inability to customize my power settings and dim the display when idle, etc.).

In the meantime, all I can do is keep checking for updates and hope the problem is addressed in one of them.  As usual, if anyone has any idea what this could be, please help us out. Smiley Indifferent

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors