Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaza
Punch Card
Views: 1,468
Message 1 of 4

Connecting to External Monitor blanks Edge 15 display

Upuntil a few days ago I could connect an external monitor (Dell1905FP) via VGA cable to my Thinkpad Edge 15" (0301CTO) and everything worked fine. The Thinkpad is running Win 7 (64 bit).

Now when I connect the Dell monitor my Thinkpad display immediately goes blank. When I remove the cable it comes back on again. When these two are connected the Dell monitor is unable to detect the Thinkpad display. I am of course unable to check if the Thinkpad can detect the Dell monitor. Both the Dell monitor and the Thinkpad display work when not connected.

I have tried connecting the Thinkpad to an alternative external monitor (Viewsonic VG2428WM) using a (different ) VGA cable and it works fine.

I have tried using the "working" VGA cable between the Thinkpad and Dell Monitor but this makes no difference.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks

Angie

Former Employee
Views: 1,426
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connecting to External Monitor blanks Edge 15 display

hey makaza,

now that's a strange turn of events since

1. Edge 15+Dell Monitor+Dell cable = fails
2. Edge 15+ViewSonic monitor+ViewSonic cable = pass
3. Edge 15+Dell monitor+ViewSonic cable = fails

Curious, if its Edge 15+ViewSonic monitor + Dell cable .. does it work ?

also have you tested the Dell monitor on a different unit ?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
makaza
Punch Card
Views: 1,419
Message 3 of 4

Serge,

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond.

I have now resolved the problem - I'm not sure how!. I have done a system restore to exclude a number of windows updates and everything is now working as it should.

Unfortunately I have not yet managed to identify which particular update caused the problem - if I do I will rport back.

Once again thankyou

Angie

tonymudie
Paper Tape
Views: 1,401
Message 4 of 4

I am having the same issue. Yesterday eveything was fine, today if I try to connect my external Samsung monitor the laptop screen goes blank. I installed the latest Windows updates, and ran the Thinkpad diagnostics, no change. Shutdown the laptop, removed battery, rebooted, everything....help!! thanks, Tony

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors