Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-28-2013

New Zealand

8 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 1 of 2

Cpu Monitoring solfware reporting sudden temp flucuations - is this normal?

2013-04-28, 12:41 PM

Hi there,

I've recently purchased a e530 laptop and have noticed flucuations in the cpu temp when idle. these are pretty constant and usually only a few degrees up or down sundenly 3 - 5 degrees, sometimes 8 - 10 degrees or so. I know this could be pretty normal. Another thing, after buying the laptop the first 5 or so boots i would get an error just before the splash screen and before windows starts to load reading " thermal sensing error" but this message has disappeared after seeing it a few times. Could there possibly be a problem with the reading of the cpu temp or are these kind of fluctuations normal when idle? The cpu usage fluctuates alot when idle but only between 0-10 percent in task manager.

thanks.

Options

1302 Posts

12-06-2012

Raleigh, NC

545 Signins

33643 Page Views

• Views: 33643
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Cpu Monitoring solfware reporting sudden temp flucuations - is this normal?

2013-04-30, 21:47 PM

Hi, ShaneP

Provided your processor temps stay within normal operating temps, I do not think you have anything to worry about at this time. Even when the computer is idle, the processor still has to operate several components of the operating software and the hardware of the machine, so it is normal for the usage to rise and, with it, the temperature. 

As for the "thermal sensing error," I found this thread from Lenovo Forums that states what the error actually means. This error normally appears when the motherboard and the processor are not fully compatible with each other. Since you are not seeing it anymore, I believe that system update has resolved this. So, with all that, I think your system is running as it should.

Hope it helps,

Adam

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution!" This will help the rest of the community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms