Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whotom
Paper Tape
Views: 170
Message 1 of 4

Crate a bootable USB disk with complete image of my hard drive

Hi,

My E550 has had trouble booting up. It tells me that it can't find the hard drive. I can shut it down and reboot and it eventually finds it, but sometimes it takes a dozen or so reboots. I think my hard drive is going bad, but I don't want to replace it and start from scratch. Instead, I bought a USB SSD to use as a boot device. I'd like to mirror my hard drive over to the USB drive. (there's enough room.) This isn't the same as just making abootable disk or a recovery drive, as those only give a bare-bones Windows OS. I want my entire hard drive mirrored over to the USB drive, boot sector and all.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks,

Tom

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 148
Message 2 of 4

Re: Crate a bootable USB disk with complete image of my hard drive

You can use disk cloning/imaging software (Acronis is one that often is provided free with many new HDD's).    There is free cloning software out there such as a MacriumReflect7 etc. that can do the job as well.

It sounds like you want to create a a disk image, so my suggestion would be to use MacriumReflect, and follow the instructions in the link below.

How to use Macrium Reflect to create an image of your PC hard drive

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-image-your-hard-drive-using-macrium-reflect

NOTE:   If you have a failing HDD, there is no guarantee that the Image Creation process will be successful, and the HDD activity needed to create the image itself may actaully cause the drive to fail completely, so I would highly recommend that you backup you data files before attempting to create an image... if you have not done so aready that is.

Best of luck,  

whotom
Paper Tape
Views: 144
Message 3 of 4

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.
whotom
Paper Tape
Views: 79
Message 4 of 4

I was able to clone the drive using Macrium Reflect, but it won't boot from the USB drive. I've set my BIOS boot order to hit the USB drive first, but when I have the drive connected and boot up, I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. It never boots. If I shut down and unplug the USB drive, it boots to my original hard drive.

Macrium shows that the USB drive has an active partition with the same files and folders (even the hidden ones) as the internal HDD. I'm not sure why it won't boot from it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors