cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j100
Paper Tape
Views: 171
Message 1 of 1

Created boot recovery disk but not data. Replace HDD and restore with Rescue and Recovery?

Hi there people.

First post so sorry if it's in the wrong place or anything. I've had as much of a search as I can and haven't found anyone with quite the same situation as me. The questions come at the end of the rambling background to my problem!!! Hope you can make it through to the end!

My E520 recently just went beyond it's warranty and surprise surprise fairly soon after that I got a warning through ThinkVantage that there was a problem with my internal hard drive. When I googled the problem it said that the hard drive was going to fail and to replace it immediately. 

As I (like an idiot) hadn't got round to backing up my computer properly (I'd saved all music, photos and videos to a seperate hard drive but hadn't done a Rescue and Recovery or Windows back up) I went out and bought a seperate hard drive to back up the computer and some disks to create the recovery boot disks. 

When I went to the Q drive to do this I misunderstood the question about do I want to create a data back up disk. I thought this meant all my media so I said no and created just the boot recovery disks. 

So my question (told you I'd get there) is this.

When I replace the internal hard drive and use the boot disks to install windows will I then be able to use the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery to restore my computer to it's former glory? Or will the fact that I'm not restoring the Lenovo skin (sorry if my terminology is wrong here. Not sure what to call it) be a problem?  Should I change my back up to the normal windows Backup and Restore as that would work better from a basic windows re-boot? 

Any advice appreciated. 

Thanks for listening!

Jules

Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors