Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derekwilliams
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,557
Message 1 of 7

DDR2 800

Currently AMD Athlon Neo models are shipping with DDR2-667, I coldn't find any models that came with it.  However, there are Toshiba models that use the same chipset that ship with DDR2-800.  I purchased the Edge because of the keyboard and superior navigation features.

I just wanted to know if anyone has tested the Edge with DDR2-800? 

I'm a stickler for having the fastest possible RAM in my computers so it is something I would like to upgrade.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to add a Bluetooth mini PCI card on your own?

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 1,539
Message 2 of 7

Re: DDR2 800

welcome to the forum!

the X100e cuurently in my possession has an AMD Neo MV-40.   after seeing your post, i decided to test 4GB of DDR2-667 modules and 4GB of DDR2-800 modules.   the results were as i expected -- there's no appreciable difference between them.

with that said, rather than spending money on memory, put it toward an SSD (if you don't already have one).   your storage device is by far the largest bottleneck in any system.   it's not the processor and not the memory.

unless you're running SuperPi tests all day long out of sheer boredom, there are better places to concentrate your performance desires.   even then, an SSD will make a bigger difference. Smiley Wink

enjoy the new Edge!

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

Former Administrator
Views: 1,522
Message 3 of 7

Erik,

Probably fair advice, but I also respect those that want to optimize wherever possible too...   Knowing your penchant for perfection, I'm sure you can appreciate where Derek is coming from...

Out of curiosity, what benchmarking software did you use?  Maybe you could share the results so others could look at the data and draw conclusions on whether 667 vs 800 matters to them?

Thanks for diving into this one!  I'm sure others will appreciate your efforts.

Mark

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 1,505
Message 4 of 7

i went with Super PI as it seems to be the most popular method of testing memory performance.   it can be downloaded here: ftp://pi.super-computing.org/windows/super_pi.zip

this is with the X100e set on the "maximum performance" power plan, battery fully charged, and on A/C power.   modules tested were 2 x 2GB elpida PC2-6400S-666 and 2 x 2GB micron PC2-5300S-555.

calculating out to 1M digits, the DDR2-800 memory finished in 0h 00m 56s.   the DDR2-667 memory completed in 0h 00m 57s.   the difference is 1.78%.   given what it would cost to replace perfectly-working 667MHz modules with 800MHz modules to gain less than 2% performance in a synthetic benchmark environment, the money spent would be better put into an SSD. Smiley Wink

the above results lead me to think that the memory bus is actually 667MHz rather than 800MHz.   the only info i find on the AMD MV-40 claims the FSB (front-side bus) is 800MHz.   if AMD architecture is like Intel, the memory bus speed is independent of the FSB.

in conclusion, it's a 1.78% difference and we don't know if this is because of the modules themselves or the actual computer.   i'd really need more modules for testing to eliminate any variables.

note: if 667MHz modules were truly slower, the results in SuperPi would be noticeable.   1 second difference could be caused by outside factors, not necessarily memory speed.   if we were dealing with a true 800MHz memory bus, the difference would be closer to 17%, not 1.7%.

-erik

(edit: added link to software and added note for clarification)

derekwilliams
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,370
Message 5 of 7

Hey Erik,

Thanks for taking a look at this, I wish I had some DDR2-800 around, even if I had to borrow it from a friend but most people I know have older laptops with slower memory.

In the application you were using did it actually read the correct FSB speed?  I know sometimes when placing memory into a system it can run it for lower than normal speeds, usually controlled by the BIOS.  This is the first laptop I've ever truly owned, others I have worked on for friends fixing software issues or laptops from work, but I've never messed around with the BIOS on any of them.

After taking a look at the BIOS on the Edge there's nothing in there to force it to 800Mhz FSB so I would hope the system would automatically set it to 800Mhz.

With that in mind if the difference really is only 1.78% then I may just buy a 2GB stick of DDR2-667.

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 1,354
Message 6 of 7

this system definitely has a 667MHz memory bus.   buy whichever modules you find at a better price.   performance will be the same no matter what. Smiley Wink

xe77
Punch Card
Views: 933
Message 7 of 7

Adding the memory may change one thing on the AMD model. It can improve graphics performance (I ran the Windows experience before and after). This is because the memory is now running as dual channel and therefore more memory bandwidth is available to the GPU.

It can also help the hard drive as it gives more room for the File System Cache to have more files preloaded from disk.

[Lenovo Edge 13, Type 0197-26U w/ 4 GB RAM]

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors