Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gbgoud
Paper Tape
Views: 1,972
Message 1 of 4

Disk Read Error on Thinkpad Edge 14

I have and Edge 14 - 057865U. I bought it in April 2010 from PCNation.com

Today i encountered a problem...It is giving a message 'A disk read error occurred, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". When i press Ctrl+Alt+Del it is giving the same error again. I did a google search for this error and people were suggesting that this error means the hard disk has died. Can some knowledgeable person please let me know what is the problem and any fix for this.

If it is true that the hard disk has died....then what should i do? Is the hard disk replacement covered under warranty?

I am in total mess....dint even take a data backup nor do i have a recovery disk

Plzzzzzz someone help

gbgoud
Paper Tape
Views: 1,967
Message 2 of 4

Re: Disk Read Error on Thinkpad Edge 14

Forgot to ask another thing......If the hard disk can be replaced under warranty....can someone tell me if it can be done in India as I will be here in India the next 3 months
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,957
Message 3 of 4

You should run a hard drive test software to check your drive, all the manufacturers have one. If you know the manufacturer of your drive it's best to use theirs.  If not, I always use the cd image of Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test, it will tell you if the drive is healthy or not.

Yes a hard drive is covered under the warranty. Did you create recovery discs? If not you should try to do so if you still can. If you can't, make sure you tell support you need them as well.

You can check whether or not your system is covered in India by entering the Model Type on this site.

Hope this helps

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

gbgoud
Paper Tape
Views: 1,840
Message 4 of 4

Thanks Andy for the prompt reply last time

I finally got my hard disk replaced here....for which they took more than 2 weeks.

Now I am experiencing random freezes after i have received my laptop from service centre.

Absolutely no pattern of freezing....It freezed while browsing, watching movie and also when just left alone....

I think it freezed 10 times atleast in a single day. I feel something is amiss

Can anyone advise me what to do....or do i have to goback to the service centre as all this is happening just after i got my hard disk replaced?

Thinkpad Edge 14 - 057865u - i3-330m, 320gb 7200 rpm, win 7 pro 64 bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors