cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trufan
Paper Tape
Views: 325
Message 1 of 2

E430 Slow Wifi Internet? No idea what I'm doing or where to look.

So my problem that I'm hoping to improve is that my my E430 has a terrible internet speed no matter if I'm connected through wifi, through a Netgear Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter.

Here are a couple speed test results on the PC using fast.com:
Netgear Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter on PC = 44 Mbps
Wifi on PC (Chrome) = 19 Mbps
Wifi on PC (Firefox) = 20 Mbps

Our service is suppose to have around 70-80 Mbps (I forget the exact speed right now) so I feel like I'm not getting what I'm paying for because of my laptop's terrible connection speed. I tested the speed of our wifi out on a different computer (a Macbook) and it toped out at about 70 Mbps there, but not anything better than 20 Mbps on my laptop.

My laptop is running Windows 7 (64-bit). The modem is a Motorola SURFboard provided by the ISP. Our wifi network goes from the modem to an Apple AirPort Time Capsule 4th gen which creates the network I connect to. The ISP disabled the wifi on the router because we connected it to the AirPort.

I looked at the Lenovo site's drivers page for my computer, but don't know if or which I should download and don't feel right blindly downloading and installing.

Any advice would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

iancdn
Token Ring
Views: 220
Message 2 of 2

Re: E430 Slow Wifi Internet? No idea what I'm doing or where to look.

I have an E430.  While trying to fix a USB problem I finally upgraded the bios (I usually resist doing that because things can go badly wrong).  Anyway, update went well, didn't fix the USB problem (that was another issue) but it did make the wifi work a lot better.  Not sure if speeds are faster but connecting is much more reliable.  Some of the interim bios update versions did refer to wifi fixes.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors