Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alskey
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,305
Message 1 of 9

E430 suddenly running r-e-a-l-y slow

My E430 is suddenly running so slowly it is impossible to do anything with it. Office documents don't respond (I hve to ctl/alt/delete and end the process) and I can't print. I have the all latest updates and have done a virus scan. The toolbox scan says everything is working well, but it obvisously isn't. Are there any ideas out there about what I can do?

WonderWoofy
Token Ring
Views: 3,266
Message 2 of 9

Re: E430 suddenly running r-e-a-l-y slow

What I would do is boot off of something else.  I would recommend a linux livecd or usb, as it will boot you into a full operating system.  If it is still slow, then you know it is your operating system and not your machine.

I guess you could first try creating a second user, and see if the problem is within your current user.

DrElectron
Punch Card
Views: 3,222
Message 3 of 9

Check to see if you have a Seagate hard drive. I  have seen two E430 and one E530 with the Seagate 320GB 7200 rpm drives with reallocation errors. When the number of errors start to get large, the drive gets slow. On one of the laptops, I had to send it in for hard drive replacement because the system became unusable. Use the free version of Hard Drive Sentinel to diagnose.

CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 3,216
Message 4 of 9

Possible excessive heat?
_

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen, ThinkPad X230, ThinkPad S430, ThinkPad T420, ThinkPad E420s, ThinkPad E10s

WonderWoofy
Token Ring
Views: 3,190
Message 5 of 9

Post 3 brings up a good point.  You should make sure that the drive itself is not failing.  You should check the SMART status.  With windows I haven't a clue how one would go about this.  I assume it is probably built into the OS itself, as the proprietary world tends to like to makes things that do 50 times more things than you need.  (ie Lets make an application that checks your mail and wipes your butt!  It will be perfect!)

CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 3,187
Message 6 of 9

If you install Lenovo Solution center, you can check some indicators. One of those is the SMART status.

Cheers.

_

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen, ThinkPad X230, ThinkPad S430, ThinkPad T420, ThinkPad E420s, ThinkPad E10s

MussaAlbittar
What's DOS?
Views: 1,768
Message 7 of 9

problem is comming from the memory card reader is realtec

try to disable this device from device  Manager

you will see big diferent in speed

my opinion the realtec memory card reader is not compatible with other hardware

thx

amareswar
Paper Tape
Views: 1,644
Message 8 of 9

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue.

My laptop configuration: 

Lenovo Thinkpad E430

500 Hdd 7200 rpm - Toshiba MK5061GSY

6 GB RAM

i3 2nd Gen intel processor

I purchased it from Flipkart. It had no OS installed. I installed windows 10, before that i had wind 7 installed 64 bit. All the drivers are upto date, there is no issue found using lenovo solution center. There is no over heating problem. Still the laptop hangs multiple time. For me the laptop boots fast. But respond very slow while opening a floder or writing a text in ms word, watching a video its hangs. I tried all possible solution , but still its having the same hanging problem. It was happening with win 7 too. The CPU, Ram and Hard disk percentage usage are also not too high. But still it's slow to respond for any work i do in system. Kindly help. 

wilkgr
What's DOS?
Views: 1,575
Message 9 of 9

I also have this issue. I banged my E430 pretty hard against the wall. Checking the S.M.A.R.T. error log shows 4 errors. However, I also found that even the "ThinkPad. Press Enter to interupt boot" took long to show too. Forcing the drive to do a 'surface scan' gives no errors. As for Windows, I found this: http://gadgets.itwriting.com/2417-fixing-a-slow-lenovo-laptop.html

Maybe uninstall that update? Or install BT driver update?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors