Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
OldFool
Paper Tape
Views: 345
Message 1 of 2

E470 display flicks off and power light flashes

I have a 15-month old E470. This has a core i5 CPU (running at 50C to 60C), 8GB memory, SSD (running at 38C). The Thinkpad is running Win10 Home, patched up to date. I'm running Trend Micro Maximum Security anti-malware

With increasing frequency, I am experiencing a problem in which the screen will go black for a couple of seconds, accompanied by the power light flashing off.  Sometimes the power light flashes without the screen going black.

Every day or so the system will freeze and I have to power it off to free it.  This has started only over the last few months.

To me, this sounds like some piece of hardware is starting to break down.  However, in case it's a software issue, I'm contemplating wiping the disk and reinstalling a clean version of  Win10.  That would be a non-trivial exercise for someone of my limited technical skills, so before I do that, does anyone have any diagnosis, insights or suggestions,  please.

OldFool
Paper Tape
Views: 298
Message 2 of 2

Re: E470 display flicks off and power light flashes

Well, I may have found a cure myself.

Since I purchased the PC I have kept it fully charged; I have always run it off AC power.

To try something different, I drained the battery, charged it, then drained it again.  Since then the problem has disappeared.

Now I charge it overnight, and run it off the battery during the day.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors