Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blablub44
Paper Tape
Views: 1,674
Message 1 of 9

E480 does not wake up from sleep

My E480 20KN does not wake up after sleep.

The device is put to sleep by either lid close or explicit action. The power LED now pulses (slow fade in/out), as usual when in sleep mode. Opening the lid or pressing the power button does not wake up the machine. I can see that it does something (e.g. the status LED for muted microphone turns on), but the OS is not woken up.

Further diagnostics:

• The problem persists on both Linux and Windows
  • The system boots fine from powered-off or hibernated state. The power button itself is working, phyiscally.
  • The problems started around when I upgraded to the 1.19 Firmware, as well as installed a Dual-Boot Windows 10/Linux setup. The problem may stem from those actions.
    • Windows 10 FastBoot is disabled, as is Secure Boot. All drivers are up to date (used Lenovo Vantage tool)
    • The problem persists even when the complete separate SSD that Windows resides on, is removed from the system.
    • I cannot roll back to an older Firmware - even when I enable BIOS downgrades and run the setup/USB-Disk flash for UEFI 1.18, the system will shut down after the upgrade, and will pulse the power LED forever (just like when the system sleeps) until i hard reset the device by holding the power button. After this, the UEFI remains on 1.19. There is no error message of any kind.
  • I have disconnected the battery and let the laptop sit for a while.
adampinter
Paper Tape
Views: 1,239
Message 2 of 9

Re: E480 does not wake up from sleep

Hi all,

Any new info or solution there?

I have the same problem, but I have some additional remarks:
This issue doesn't happen when I'm at the office, but always happens at home. I haven't realised clearly the difference, but there is four main general difference:

- 1.: At the office the charger is always connected, at home usually I use the machine on battery.
- 2.: At the office an external screen is connected (via HDMI), at home usually not.
- 3.: At the office I'm connected to the company's LAN by cable, at home I use WiFi.
- 4.: At the office when I leave my place, I log off with WINKEY+L key combination, at home I don't.

First I though, the problem should be around the plugged in vs. battery mode, because sleep mode has the most relation to power management from these four, BUT: if I use my laptop at the morning (on battery) at home and then I come to the office, I open the lid and it and wakes up with no problem (however it surely had  gone to sleep as I closed it's lid for 40 minutes while travelling to work).

Any idea? I keep invesigating to define the exact parameter on whitch the problem "depends on"... if possible.
Adam

blablub44
Paper Tape
Views: 1,228
Message 3 of 9

Hey all,
eventually I turned my device in for repairs, and the logic board was replaced. The problem was solved, but I have not found out the root cause or possible ways to fix this at home.
adampinter
Paper Tape
Views: 1,226
Message 4 of 9

Thank you for your reply! It doesn't sound good... but maybe I have to go this way too.

(It is very frustrating, because the only reason for me to buy a 1200EUR machine was to have a reliable, stabile laptop, because my work doesn't allow 2 weeks lack of my computer with my single-licenced engineer softwares on it... but this is another topic.)

metall_lover
What's DOS?
Views: 834
Message 5 of 9

Hi, guys!

I just want to share my story here related to the issue with sleeping mode.

Not so far ago (beginning of December 2018) I bought 2 Lenovo laptops (E480, model 20KN-005CRT) without OS for me and my wife. I have 2 Windows license keys bought in the Microsoft store, thus, I installed the Windows 10 on both laptops. At the beginning of December 2018, the latest version of Windows 10 was 1803, so I downloaded relevant MSDN package and deployed it on both machines.

And until the middle of January 2019 everything was great and we both have not expecting any issues with these laptops. But, as I am some kind of geek, I’ve updated my laptop manually using Microsoft windows update software (standalone software, not the Update Center) and got as a result 1809 version of Windows 10 OS. After installation I notices that the display brightness bar has gone from the Windows energy settings (see screenshot). And right after the upgrade I started to suffer from this “sleeping mode/hibernation” issue. The laptop when it goes to sleep was unresponsive, all the indicators was working as in the normal operation mode, but no response there. Screen was black. This was happened only when the laptop was opened and the sleeping mode time was reached. Some times (for about 50% of such cases the Windows BSOD was appeared).

I tried everything, the drivers, old and modern, I reinstalled a Windows several times, I upgraded and downgraded BIOS, at the same time my wife’s laptop was operating and slept well. And yesterday I decided to compare all of the settings of my wife’s laptop to mine. I reinstalled the drivers again to reach the same version, except BIOS, and accidently looked at the version of Windows 10 OS, she has 1803m and there were no automatic updates since December. I decided to try installing the same version of Windows 10 and this WORKED!!!

Right after the installation the display brightness regulators came back and issue with the sleeping mode is GONE!!!

Seems to me, I think that there is problems with the Lenovo drivers which are not compatible with Windows 10 1809 version which is in some part related to the 1809 new energy saving engine.

Dear Lenovo Support team, please take this information into account related to the E480 and update the drivers for the Lenovo laptops. The information available on Lenovo web site says that the E480 model among others was tested on compatibility with Windows 10 1809 version, but the practice is not such bright.

Dear community, please, if you’re expecting such an issue with the sleeping/hibernating mode, try to install Windows 10 1803 version which was successfully worked in my case.

I hope that my post will help someone and Lenovo Support to make their good products better.

Sincerely yours, metal_lover.

memito01
What's DOS?
Views: 814
Message 6 of 9

I have a 20KS E580 with the same problem, I did kind of what you did but after a two or three days start doing it again (freezing up after going to sleep mostly in battery mode). I did end up calling Lenovo for a RMA. I think is a defect from the manufacturer.
metall_lover
What's DOS?
Views: 792
Message 7 of 9

Check the Windows version now, maybe during these 2 or 3 days you're got an automatic update to 1809 version. 

siddm
What's DOS?
Views: 235
Message 8 of 9

Same problem on my e480. It's not just when I close the lid or explicitly put it to sleep but also when it goes to sleep by itself after the set time. Anyone has any ideas what to do?

Highlighted
adampinter
Paper Tape
Views: 119
Message 9 of 9

New observation: I shut the lid of the notebook at the end of the work and go home. Some hours later I take it out from it's case. It is hot again, the same 'not-wake-from-sleep' problem.. some process must be in the background as it is hot.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors