cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charlie24zz
Paper Tape
Views: 865
Message 1 of 5

E480, is windows pre-installed on HDD or SSD?

Hello!

I would like to order a Lenovo E480, with a 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD with Windows 10 Pro.

In the customization options, the ''First Hard Drive'' is the HDD drive, and the ''Second Hard Drive'' is the SSD drive. This begs the question, does Windows come pre-installed on the HDD, or the SSD?

I will order the laptop later today, but only if Windows comes installed on the SSD...I just need confirmation of this. Thank you!

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 853
Message 2 of 5

Re: E480, is windows pre-installed on HDD or SSD?

Welcome to the forum.

I can't answer your question but I'd be surprised if Lenovo didn't install the system software on the SSD.

The issue may not matter in the end because it's quite easy to copy the preinstalled software from HDD to SSD. If your new system boots from the HDD, then after it completes Windows 10 installation:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect 7  Free Edition

2. Run it and follow the instructions to do a direct disk clone from HDD to SSD

3. Reboot. When the logo screen is displayed, press F1. to enter ThinkPad Setup

4. Select Startup ➙ Boot to display the Boot Priority Order submenu.

5. Select the drive that contains the operating system, i.e. the SSD. Then press Esc.

6. Select Restart and ensure that OS Optimized Defaults is enabled. Then press F10 to save the settings and exit the ThinkPad Setup program

7. When you're satisfied that everything is working you can safely reformat the HDD and use it to store data.

Steps 3. through 6. are also described in Chapter 6 of the E480 User's Guide.

Paper Tape
Views: 849
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for your answer!

One last question: how could I determine if the system is run on the HDD or SSD?

SeniorGuru
Views: 837
Message 4 of 5

1. In Windows File Explorer, right-click the C:\ drive icon. Select Properties, General tab. That will show the size of that drive. The Hardware tab will also show this and the other (hopefully HDD) drive.

2. Windows Computer Management -> Disk Management also shows all drives connected to your system. Disk 0 is the boot drive.

Views: 817
Message 5 of 5

On the E570 I recieved the 256gb SSD was an m.2 drive, and the OS was loaded onto it.  It made for a really quick booting machine, I just had to make sure a HDD was installed for long term storage, and an image of the SSD just in case.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors