03-16-2018 07:11 AM - edited 03-16-2018 07:12 AM
I would like to order a Lenovo E480, with a 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD with Windows 10 Pro.
In the customization options, the ''First Hard Drive'' is the HDD drive, and the ''Second Hard Drive'' is the SSD drive. This begs the question, does Windows come pre-installed on the HDD, or the SSD?
I will order the laptop later today, but only if Windows comes installed on the SSD...I just need confirmation of this. Thank you!
03-16-2018 08:09 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I can't answer your question but I'd be surprised if Lenovo didn't install the system software on the SSD.
The issue may not matter in the end because it's quite easy to copy the preinstalled software from HDD to SSD. If your new system boots from the HDD, then after it completes Windows 10 installation:
1. Download and install Macrium Reflect 7 Free Edition
2. Run it and follow the instructions to do a direct disk clone from HDD to SSD
3. Reboot. When the logo screen is displayed, press F1. to enter ThinkPad Setup
4. Select Startup ➙ Boot to display the Boot Priority Order submenu.
5. Select the drive that contains the operating system, i.e. the SSD. Then press Esc.
6. Select Restart and ensure that OS Optimized Defaults is enabled. Then press F10 to save the settings and exit the ThinkPad Setup program
7. When you're satisfied that everything is working you can safely reformat the HDD and use it to store data.
Steps 3. through 6. are also described in Chapter 6 of the E480 User's Guide.
03-16-2018 09:54 AM
1. In Windows File Explorer, right-click the C:\ drive icon. Select Properties, General tab. That will show the size of that drive. The Hardware tab will also show this and the other (hopefully HDD) drive.
2. Windows Computer Management -> Disk Management also shows all drives connected to your system. Disk 0 is the boot drive.
03-17-2018 07:58 AM
On the E570 I recieved the 256gb SSD was an m.2 drive, and the OS was loaded onto it. It made for a really quick booting machine, I just had to make sure a HDD was installed for long term storage, and an image of the SSD just in case.