Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregNL
What's DOS?
Views: 85
Message 1 of 4

E485 SSD Specification

When I ordered my new E485 I wanted to get the M.2 SSD and not the HD. The order list showed this as being an available combination but when I contacted customer support they said it was not available and could not be ordered. Now that I have the machine and perused the service manual I can see that this is not true. And clearly, the E485 is much slower at startup and IO intensive tasks than my old Thinkpad SL510 that I installed a Kingston SSD in when the original hard drive got flaky.

I would prefer to take the machine to a service depot to install an M2 and move the OS and stuff to it... or I can wait until the warranty lapses and do it myself. But I have not found any specification as to the type of SSD that is correct for this machine -- I have two M.2 SSDs in other machines and they are different. So what is the correct unit to install in this machine?

And failing that are there any issues with perhaps a Kingston or other vendors SSD to replace the hard drive?

Thanks,

GregNL

dcbbleo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 64
Message 2 of 4

Re: E485 SSD Specification

Hi. If the E485 is the same as the E585, then you must make sure the m.2 drive is an nvme drive not sata.

As for warranty,  I don't think installing your own ssd would void it, unless you damage something and try to claim that specific thing. Just ask around to be sure. Let whoever opens your laptop know that the tabs holding the bottom cover are quite fragile so pop it off with care.

Thankfully, Lenovo did not try to make user upgrades difficult.

As for i/o speed, I'm assuming you ordered one with a magnetic hard drive? I did the same thing and found it to be fast enough, except when Windows was updating.

I also ended up installing an ssd and I can't say it's sooo much faster. It's only when I'm pushing a lot of i/o tasks that I can say "maybe" this would have been a bit slower with a hard drive. E.g. when I use Eclipse ide, I am disappointed that even with the ssd, it's still slow to start and there is still a delay the first time it tries to auto-complete a method from the Java library.

The update process is what really slows down startup and i/o. I really think it's the worst part about Windows. The usual advice about startup and background programs would also help, but since you already have some ssd's available, it's a moot point. When I reinstalled Windows on my ssd, the update from revision x to y still took 4+ hours! Check if your system is trying to update itself and just set a time to let it finish.

Highlighted
GregNL
What's DOS?
Views: 60
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. I will probably do it myself -- have rebuilt the SL510 a few times and I like the way Lenovo builds things. My wife's HP is a very different story. Some of the stuff I do is fairly IO intensive -- and the boot process is interminable.  When I replaced the 500gb drive on the SL510 with a Kingston SSD (sata) the boot up time shortened significantly. Watching the E485 get it up its fairly clear that seek times vary a fair amount -- in excess of 30ms is not that unusual. So the disk is saturated for a while before its finished. An SSD will have a uniform seek rate as its just switching delays, no mechanical blob being pushed around. Still, the PCIe M.2 modules come in a variety of shapes and I was surprised to not find a spec in the maintenance manual.

BTW -- your handle 'papertape' -- 8 level or 5 level?

g

dcbbleo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 51
Message 4 of 4

I'm brand new on the forums so I didn't even know there were levels to the tags. I'm no expert either, just an enthusiast.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors