Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haski
Paper Tape
Views: 471
Message 1 of 5

E490 abysmal performance

I'll preface this by admitting that I shouldn't be using a thinkpad as a gaming machine.

I recently got my new E490 with an i7 8565u and RX 550X, 8GB RAM. Now I'm using it mainy as a productivity machine and it's pretty solid, however I'd like to do some light gaming and graphics work (design, art, etc), hence the upgrade to the RX 550X.

Now this is where it gets really hard to understand - in-game (very light gaming, 2D games and pixel stuff, low system requirements) I'm getting shocking performance after about 30seconds of launching the application. It starts at a solid 60fps (locked) but quickly drops to about 5fps. Doesn't matter which game I try, they all behave the same.

I assumed it was thermal throttling, but the CPU and GPU temperatures appear perfectly reasonable and the clocks aren't dropping either. Here's a screenshot of what happens when in-game:

thinkpad_e490_throttle.png

As you can see, CPU usage, clocks and temps are fine, GPU temps are actually good, but what seems strange is the GPU usage. I've set the high performance in Radeon settings, and even the Intel graphics wouldn't perform this badly. When I let the integrated graphics work, I get the same result as well (plumetting framerates). I'm stumped... I've seen throttling before but it was clear to monitor it, whereas this is confusing me. It's plugged into power source while testing, all drivers up-to-date. The laptop is only a few days old.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or do I need to return the device?

haski
Paper Tape
Views: 437
Message 2 of 5

Re: E490 abysmal performance

So, a development: toggling the power settings (using the battery icon in taskbar) fixes the issue! I think it's thermal related but not necessarily thermal throttling, rather a TDP throttling that I've read about, kicking in when it gets to about 70 - 80c.

For some reason, the thermals are over 10c cooler if I simply toggle the battery setting from the middle to 'best performance' and back. Works absolutely fine. Restarting the laptop brings the issue back, however. I can reproduce this every restart.

Is there some sort of Lenovo service that gets shutdown when cycling power options through windows? I read something about a service called Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Service, and apparently disabling that can help, but toggling the power options didn't shut down this service.

Any ideas to make this fix more permanent or as to why this would be a fix at all?

You can see below that it was running warmer after a restart (start of graphs), then I toggled the battery performance option and doing the same task (gaming) resulted in lower temperatures and stable framerates. Also worth noting is the GPU1 (radeon rx 550x) usage plumetted during the warmer period. Maybe this can lend some insight into what's going on?

cpu_temperature.png

haski
Paper Tape
Views: 425
Message 3 of 5

So, a development: toggling the power settings (using the battery icon in taskbar) fixes the issue! I think it's thermal related but not necessarily thermal throttling, rather a TDP throttling that I've read about, kicking in when it gets to about 70 - 80c.

For some reason, the thermals are over 10c cooler if I simply toggle the battery setting from the middle to 'best performance' and back. Works absolutely fine. Restarting the laptop brings the issue back, however. I can reproduce this every restart.

Is there some sort of Lenovo service that gets shutdown when cycling power options through windows? I read something about a service called Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Service, and apparently disabling that can help, but toggling the power options didn't shut down this service.

Any ideas to make this fix more permanent or as to why this would be a fix at all?

You can see below that it was running warmer after a restart (start of graphs), then I toggled the battery performance option and doing the same task (gaming) resulted in lower temperatures and stable framerates. Also worth noting is the GPU1 (radeon rx 550x) usage plumetted during the warmer period. Maybe this can lend some insight into what's going on?

cpu_temperature.png

ping1ping
Paper Tape
Views: 110
Message 4 of 5

I also have the same specs, and also encounter with drop fps in games.

it's annoying.

nothing works.

please help !!!

ping1ping
Paper Tape
Views: 78
Message 5 of 5

lame support.

I will never buy Lenovo product ever again.

buy computer with graphic card from lenovo , and this is the result.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors