Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mijoe
Paper Tape
Views: 399
Message 1 of 2

E520 CPU Issues?

I've had this E520 for over a year now and it's run very smoothly so far.  Recently, I noticed that when I was using processor intensive applications, e.g. Gaming, there were occasional spikes where the FPS would suddenly drop.  This issue has become progressively worse over a month.  

Since I'm out of the warranty period, I ended up taking apart the entire laptop in order to clear the dust in the fans, which was my first guess as to what the problem was caused by.  This has had little to no effect and my CPU still ends up hitting 100 degrees and throttling, causing lag.  I also tried updating the BIOS, but this also had no effect and also seemed to have taken away the option of turning Turbo-Boost off in the BIOS, which might've also helped alleviate the overheating.  

One solution I've found is that setting processor affinity in task manager to 2 CPUs slightly reduces framerate, but seems to prevent the huge spikes i'm seeing running applications using all cores, but it's not a very good solution and I'm not getting the most out of my computer.  I've also tried installing Speedfan, which has helped a little bit by reacting faster and speeding up the fan a lot when the temperature is high, but the issue persists.

Does anybody have any other ideas to what might be causing this problem, or solutions?

Thanks in advance!

mijoe
Paper Tape
Views: 370
Message 2 of 2

Re: E520 CPU Issues?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors