Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GfK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,070
Message 1 of 33

E520 Edge is dead

My Thinkpad Edge E520 will not power on.  The LED does not illuminate when the PSU is connected.  It's been returned once already when it was 4 months old due to the LCD being faulty.

Prior to complete failure, the system would just switch off randomly - it did this for two days.

It is out of warranty by a couple of months.

I've replaced the DC-IN sub-board, which I originally believed to be the problem, but it is still dead.  Lenovo charged me a disgusting £18 postage for the part.  But as the only other place it was available was dodgy Chinese eBay sellers, I didn't believe there was an awful lot of choice.

I've just read on the forums (source) that the fault is common among Edge models, and most likely down to a faulty EEPROM, meaning the entire mainboard needs replaced.

I have made futile attempts to email Lenovo support for advice about this, or even to acquire a part number and cost, but it seems like they just don't want me to contact them.  I cannot find an email address anywhere.

Is there anything I can do to get this fixed that *won't* cost me a fortune on top of the £45 I've just paid for a part I probably didn't need, or shall I just shove it in the bin and buy another brand?  Completely fed up with it!!

GfK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,031
Message 2 of 33

Re: E520 Edge is dead

Well, for some bizarre reason, I do like my Lenovo. And I cannot do without a laptop (I run a software company) so I've just bought a new G580. It's not top spec but it's plenty for what I need it to do (provided it actually switches on) Smiley Wink

I'd like to get the E520 fixed up but if not, I'll sell it on for spares.
Former Administrator
Views: 7,022
Message 3 of 33

GfK,

I've received your PM and will provide further details there, but short answer - yes, there may be help through service for your particular symptoms through 8/30/2013.    Please call service now!

Thanks also for your continued loyalty and the purchase of the G580!

Best regards,

Mark

GfK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,002
Message 4 of 33

Mark,

Thanks for your assistance with this.  I've spoken to customer services this morning and they acknowledged the issue with the E520 (The guy had to put me on hold for 5 minutes to check into it), and have arranged for me to return it for repair, despite it being out of standard warranty.

Just wanted to update this thread because based on past dealings with out-of-warranty faults with stuff (NOT Lenovo!), I was expecting to be stripping my laptop for spares.  Companies normally do not want to know.  So despite my Lenovo going for its second repair (the first was a faulty screen (or cable) at 4 months old), I'm more than satisfied with how I, as a customer, have been treated.  And this only serves to reinforce my thinking that going out and buying a second Lenovo (as oppose to any other brand) was a correct one.

Thanks again.

Dave

n_re2003
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,951
Message 5 of 33

Thanks Mark for information, I have the same problem where my E520 is dead after 18 months of my purchase. I try to reach customer service at 855 253-6686 which transfered to Atlanta and they couldn't help me and said its out of warrently and they do not have any recall to fix this.

Could you please help me on this?

GfK
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,909
Message 6 of 33

Just another update - posted laptop to Lenovo on Friday, they received it Monday 29th July.

Today, 31st July, the courier delivered it back to me, fully repaired.  Two day turn-around!

If that isn't awesome service then I don't know what is.

juna1103
Punch Card
Views: 6,630
Message 7 of 33

Hey Mark

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad E520
, Thats dead, I came to this forum looking for some help, I tried the resett with the coms battery, but nothing..

I also read that you have a BIG heart when it comes to us poor souls who are out of warranty, My laptop has the date 11/11 Please let me know if there's anything you can do please.. Thanks for your time, and hope to hear from you..
juna1103
Punch Card
Views: 6,599
Message 8 of 33

Oh I see I just read this,    yes, there may be help through service for your particular symptoms through 8/30/2013

I started haveing problem I say about 6 months after purchase.. But the laptop was still usable but like the dummy I am I never sent it in to be fix..  Now I guess I am out of luck,  never again Lenovo..  I dont even want to say how much I spent on this laptop..   The sad thing is this is a family laptop.. 

Osasco
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,299
Message 9 of 33

Thread "Edge E520 will not turn on" is closed as extended warranty period has ended (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/Edge-E520-will-not-turn-on/m-p/746183/highlight/...

But I still have an E520 with the same problems and I would like to know how to fix it as Lenovo will not fix it for me.

Is there any way of Lenovo tell me what the problem is? Or even what the problems are?

I will ask a technician to fix it but first I need to know the problems to orient him.

Please Mark_Lenovo, HELP ME!!

Thanks in advance,

Osasco

jamie_barrett
Paper Tape
Views: 6,253
Message 10 of 33

I have the same problem, i have a e525 and a e520 and both died about 2 months out of warranty. at the time back in 2012 there was no recall so i bought a second hand x200. i have just come across this thread to find out i have missed out on getting my much larger screen e520 back in working order as it appears it was a manufacturing fault.

please can you tell me how i can get this issue dealt with.

Thanks

jamie

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors