Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,809
Message 1 of 6

E520 RAM memory upgrade to 16gb

Hello everyone!

I own Thinkpad e520 laptop. I would like to upgrade RAM memory in it up to 16gb (2x 8gb). I have read at lenovo support website that it can have only 8 gb (2x 4gb - now I have this configuration). If I replace (2x 8gb) that means it will not work? Has anyone a solution for the problem or experience with this? I care about larger amounts of memory in my laptop.

Thanks in advance for your helpful reply.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,794
Message 2 of 6

Re: E520 RAM memory upgrade to 16gb

Hello and welcome,

Lenovo lists the memory capacities that it makes available, and often the actual maximum is greater and the aftermarked vendors will say so.  In this case it looks like 8G is the max.  Both Crucial and Kingston agree that it's 8G.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Thinkpad%20Edge%20E520&Cat=RAM

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=3&Mfr=LEN&Line=ThinkPad&Model=71434  (see configuration details tab)

I don't have any personal experience with your machine, but I'd be inclined to believe these aftermarket vendors.

Sorry it isn't what you wanted to hear.

[edit] See below.  Looks like 16G is possible, in spite of what Lenovo and the aftermarketers say.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Highlighted
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 4,786
Message 3 of 6

my E520 has 16 gigs of ram.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
tomus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,754
Message 4 of 6

lead_org - Could you write something more about your computer? What ram type, which brand do you have? Thanks

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 4,748
Message 5 of 6

1333 mhz SODIMM 204 pin DDR3, Patriot (the cheapest i could buy).
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
tomus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,727
Message 6 of 6

Did you do any additional configuration? for example - a new bios or just plug and play?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors