Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emerich
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,071
Message 1 of 13

E520 graphics drivers Windows 8.1 Error 43

Howdy everyone,

I installed Windows 8.1 on sunday and since yesterday the Windows device manager says something along the lines of:

"Error 43: Device caused an error and stopped" (Have the German version installed - thus I am not sure on the exact translation )

The Intel graphics still work and some google search hinted on the graphics driver being broken/ not compatible /voodoo

So I was wondering whether we can expect a new graphics driver for Windows 8.1?

I would like to humbly request some more frequent graphics driver updates for this machine anyhow. The Windows 7 users are still stuck with a Driver which is years old - missing out completely on the hundreds of optimizations AMD includes in the drivers.

Thanks in advance and best regards

EDIT:

I completely deinstalled the AMD drivers and reinstalled them (after rebooting, of course). Now the Catalyst started up normally but whenever I try to start a program using the dedicated graphics card, it simply crashes. Something seems really quite messed up. Wonder whether the graphics card is broken.

Emerich
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,960
Message 2 of 13

Betreff: E520 graphics drivers Windows 8.1 Error 43

Since I'm apparently not the only one with problems using Windows 8.1 and the Edge E520  

(see http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/Thinkpad-E520-Windows-8-1-and-Switchable-Graphics... )

Right now i can get the switchable graphics to work when I set the switch to manual ( it still switches to intel graphics when i unplug the device.. which causes Opera to crash and the occasional blue screen )

Needless to say, this gets old fast - and judging from how hot the device gets when the Intel gfx are running, this won't help the lifetime.

Is there going to be any new drivers?

Can we expect any support whatsoever =)?

doso
Paper Tape
Views: 1,936
Message 3 of 13

Hello,

Updating BIOS and graphics driver should resolve the issue. Since this system model is not tested with 8.1 Operating System, the required drivers are not available for the same. However you may try installing the Windows 7/8 drivers in compatibility mode.

Please update BIOS and then update Intel and ATI drivers in compatibility mode. Update Intel driver first and then ATI driver. Restart the system after each update. Please find the instruction below for the same:

Download the driver from the link below. Right click ‘.exe’ file and click ‘Properties’. Click “install in compatibility mode’. Click on Application and select ‘Troubleshoot Compatibility’. Next, click on ‘Troubleshoot Program’. Click on Program worked in earlier versions of Windows. Click on ‘Windows 8’.Click on ‘Start the Program’. Do not hit ‘Next’ until the installation completes. Once the installation completes, click on ‘Next’.

LINK INTEL AMD DRIVER: ThinkPad Edge E520 (1143-DNG)

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8ids02ww.exe

alex5723
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,897
Message 4 of 13

doso: E520 graphics drivers Windows 8.1 Error 43

Are these drivers compatible with Thinkpad Edge E520 1143-3NG running Windows 7 64bit as well ?, as I can't install IE11 due to missing compatible to IE11 Hybrid Graphics drivers.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/IE11-Hybrid-Graphics-Fiasco-is-Back/td-p/1306573

Emerich
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,839
Message 5 of 13

As I said,

I managed to install the drivers - they do crash frequently though.

I'll try upgrading the BIOS next..

alex5723
Broadband 3G
Views: 1,831
Message 6 of 13

@Betreff

You are running Windows 8.1, I use Windows 7.

IonutN1985
Paper Tape
Views: 1,581
Message 7 of 13

Hello!

Can anyone confirm if this issue has been resolved? Can I upgrade to Windows 8.1?

Emerich
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,572
Message 8 of 13

Honestly, I switched to the Leshcat WHQL drivers. So far much better.

I truely am disappointed in the complete lack of support from lenovo.for our Laptop

IonutN1985
Paper Tape
Views: 1,570
Message 9 of 13

Hi, Emerich!

Thank you for your quick response.

So the Leshcat WHQL drivers fixed the problem with hardware acceleration?

I'm disappointed as well, my Windows 8 license box has acquired a little bit of dust since I brought up this problem. Smiley Happy

Do you recommend I upgrade and use the Leshcat drivers instead?

Emerich
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,558
Message 10 of 13

Theres go guarantee the drivers will work and there's the remote chance something might go awry - as alwayw with unofficial software.

However, for me it's working perfectly fine - and I finally have all the options the Catalyst center should offer (no more turning to Intel Graphics when i unplug the machine  - Yay!)

The system is mostly stable - the only program that has issues is Star Wars The Old Republic. Besides that, everything seems to run smoothly.

Still -. no guarantees =)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors