Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dal101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,302
Message 1 of 5

E525 internal hard drive not detected by BIOS when eSATA drive attached

I have a new E525 that I am trying to use with some external eSATA storage. If I boot the system with the eSATA drive attached, the internal HDD is not found and the system will not boot. I get "Fixed Disk: External Disk 0" on the diagnostic splash screen.

If I boot with the eSATA drive turned off, and turn it on once the OS has booted, all is well and both internal and external drives are found.

Any ideas? I have looked for a BIOS update but have not been able to find one. I've also been through most of the BIOS settings but can't see anything that looks relevant.

dal101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,273
Message 2 of 5

Re: E525 internal hard drive not detected by BIOS when eSATA drive attached

It appears that this has something to do with the hard drive ordering. When the machine is switched on with the eSATA drive attached, eSATA becomes SATA HDD0 (presumably the internal drive becomes SATA HDD1).
The only option to boot from SATA drives on the boot order menu in the BIOS is SATA HDD0, so it never tries to boot from HDD1 (now the internal drive).
I can see this is useful if you WANT to boot from the eSATA, but I don't........
dal101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,263
Message 3 of 5

I would appreciate some sort of reply to this from Lenovo........

If I boot from the DVD drive, both internal and eSATA drives are visible. So this is purely a BIOS boot option problem. How about providing a BIOS update that allows boot from either eSATA or internal SATA?

I have other laptops (from Dell) that don't do this using the same eSATA hardware. They give me the option of choosing between eSATA and internal drive, and specifying the boot order.

dal101
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,249
Message 4 of 5

So nobody is going to reply to this?
Why would you build a system with an eSATA port that won't boot when eSATA is connected?
hvgsel
Paper Tape
Views: 1,154
Message 5 of 5

I just installed a E525 1200 2hg (AMD Processor) and experience the same problem. It's annoying and i would like to see a soltution to this.

I do not have this problem on a Toshiba notebook.

Is there a BIOS fix for this?

Gr. Hugo

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors