Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paddi
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 67,368
Message 1 of 906

E530 - pulsing/whiny fan @ no/low load

Got an E530 with 3612QM & discrete graphics a few days ago. All in all a lovely machine, top notch features and power considering the price. However, not everything is rosy.

After removing/starting from scratch with a clean Windows 7 Pro (since the preloaded Windows installation was so bloated, >120 processes running, seriously?), having cut the number of processes in half, I continued to install all the drivers. When I was done, I installed some small software like MSE and a browser. But I noticed something, that even if the computer was barely doing anything, there was a pulsing noise from the fan. Every 3-4 seconds or so, it would spin/rev up a bit, then relax, then repeat this - forever...

Tried the normal remedy for Thinkpads, TPFanControl, but the E530 is not supported (as of yet). Tried to check the fan rpm, buth they are unreadable by SIW or HWinfo or any other tool I tried. I am - however - able to get the temp readings, and they are really low and cool, so I don't understand why the fan is accelerating/pulsing. Have also tried changing cooling option, passive/active made no difference. Tried without power management software/driver, didn't make a difference. Tried deactivating CPU features such as HT, or even running singel core, nope - didn't help. Doing nothing the computer has no core temp above 48-49 C, and all other available readings are even lower.

Lenovo, please adjust/fix (as in relax) the fan response curve, it is so annoying in a quiet environment I am considering just returning an otherwise excellent computer.

Update: removed both Lenovo PM-software, driver and disabled Lenovo PM-device. The laptop is no longer as eager to throttle as before. Although this is not a good way of solving it, it might be - sort of - a solution for me with regards to the fan-thing.

2nd update: Might have spoken too soon. Issue is still unresolved.  So now I'm giving up on this E530. Feels like I've purchased a project that I'm going to have to spend a lot of time tweaking and fixing, and I don't have time for more failed attempts with TPfancontrol or fiddling around with what drivers/devices to uninstall/disable. There should have been a larger fan/cooling system, or two at lower and more stable rpm. What I suspect is that the fan rpm/response curve is identical on the E530 with quad core and discrete graphics as on those with mere dual cores and no discrete option installed. The latter probably barely - if ever - touch the upper rpm options, and obviously would hum along nicely at the lowest options without switching around.

Either way, the fan noise profile/spectrum combined with this pulsing whine or whatever is not to my liking. Sure, it is not noisy (as in high dB) at all, even at full load the cooling is apparently well capable of handling this quad core cpu + discrete graphics card. Frankly, at full load I wouldn't even have minded a noisier computer. But at no/low load, this incessant switching between (what I assume) are the two of the lowest rpm choices available never gives my brain enough time to "cancel" it out. At no/low-load - another computer I have here (a quite old, but still capable hot-running C2D @ 2,4 GHz) is - with a/one fan at 2-3k rpm - less noisy (as in less annoying) than the brand new E530 (which runs cooler at no/low load)...

Checked with an RTA-app using the mic on my phone and also compared the sound/noise with my older laptop. Measured really close to the fan corner. It seems like the E530 outputs a higher level of noise around 1-2k Hz, plus a substantial peak somewhere above 16k (probably inaudible to me, so I'm not sure). Of course, the accuracy of my phone's mic is debatable, but I have compared it with/done measurements of generated/perfect noise/frequencies, and it seems pretty good. Either way, my own conclusion is thus: while the noise itself is low dB, the noise's profile - combined with the unstable nature of it - makes the computer too much of an annoyance for me in low noise environments. Which is a shame, as it was excellent in many other aspects.

PlingPlong
Fanfold Paper
Views: 67,208
Message 2 of 906

Re: E530 - pulsing/whiny fan @ no/low load

OMG! I installed an update: Intel Management Engine

Now I also have this problem, freaking annoying!

How the fan was before was 100 times better then now Smiley Sad

lenskat
Token Ring
Views: 67,157
Message 3 of 906

This pulsing is also happening on my E430 with the i5-3320M. Original Windows from Lenovo, no software removed or added, simply after some time idling at 36-37C, the fan speeds up and slows down every couple seconds.

Since the laptop is quite thick and bulky I assume it has a proper heatsink and should be able to cool the processor passively when idling at 3W. I hoped to replace the HDD with an SSD so that this machine could be absolutely quite while doing office work.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 67,150
Message 4 of 906

This pulsing problem has been a problem with most of the recent ThinkPad Edge laptops.

@lenskat, i think you raised this problem too in your whirlpool comments.

FYI i am also having this issue with my E320, E520, and E530 that i got recently.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
PlanetOfTheApes
Core Memory
Views: 67,097
Message 5 of 906

@lead_org wrote:
This pulsing problem has been a problem with most of the recent ThinkPad Edge laptops.

@lenskat, i think you raised this problem too in your whirlpool comments.

FYI i am also having this issue with my E320, E520, and E530 that i got recently.

Thanks lead_org. Sorry but I won't be purchasing or recommending Thinkpad Edge products until this issue is resolved. Does an entry for this issue exist in Lenovo's bug tracker database? If so, can someone please post a link to it so we can track progress.

lorenzen
Paper Tape
Views: 66,976
Message 6 of 906

i just got my lenovo edge e430 and i have same problem. if i cant fix this fan noise i wanna return this laptop. does anyone have a solution? and do i have to pay %15 of purchase this product ? cause this is lenovo's fault and i dont want to waste my money.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 66,956
Message 7 of 906

Tpfancontrol.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Former Administrator
Views: 66,820
Message 8 of 906

All,

We can definitely look into this... we've addressed these kinds of concerns on prior models through BIOS and driver updates.   As the discussion continues, for consistency and to help our attempts to reproduce...

1) Please confirm what BIOS, Power Manager version is installed and that you are running the preload or not

2) Please indicate if this immediately happens or after the system warms up (and how long to start this?)

3) Whether this occurs on AC or battery or both?   What power profile do you have set in power manager?

4) Windows 7 32 or 64 bit version

Nine, or another member of the team can continue to work with you as you share this information.  

Thanks

Mark

lenskat
Token Ring
Views: 66,775
Message 9 of 906

1)

BIOS: H0ET32WW (1.14), Release Date: 06/15/2012

Power Manager v6.16

Running Preload

2) This happens a few minutes after the start when the temps go slightly over 40C.

3) Both, I tried all power profiles, even the Maximum Battery Life. There is a "Fan sound level" indicator for each profile but it appears to make no difference and cannot be adjusted. I think there should be more control given to the users to adjust the fan curve. My CPU package consumption is 3W at idle, temps 38-42C and I should be able to run this Ivy Bridge laptop without a fan on.

4) Win7 64 bit

Former Employee
Views: 66,759
Message 10 of 906

Hi all

Based from what i'm reading, I'm suspecting that there is a conflict with the softwares. I'd like to bring this up with the support teams and get them to investigate. Could you possibly PM me you system details. Details i need can be found below.

• Machine Family (e.g. T61)
• Machine Type Model (e.g. 7660-14A)
• Machine Serial Number (e.g. L3-234A)
• Bios version
• Chipset model and driver version
• RAM (e.g. 2GB DDR3)
• OS (e.g. Win 7 64-bit Ultimate)

• Steps taken prior to a reported issue (for an example software or hardware installed)

• Driver list and version of components (depends on issue discussed)

• First and Last Name
• Contact Phone Number
• Email Address

• Country of customers resided : 

Do let me know and hope to get your PM.

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors