Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 871 of 906 (2,388 Views)

Re: E530 - pulsing/whiny fan @ no/low load

I have a Thinkpad Edge E40 (Edge 14) that forces te fan to 100% all the time.

I have updated BIOS and Power Manager to latest versions.

I have tried TPFanControl, but it does not maintain the Manual setting. It keeps going back to full speed.

It also only shows the Battery temp sensor (27C).

Any help? The fan is loud and annoying.

Thanks!

Punch Card
Message 872 of 906 (2,271 Views)

Same problem here once the fan starts it NEVER STOPS, this is unacceptable, this laptop is garbage and should never had reached production.

Be carefull everyone never buy a E530.

Paper Tape
Message 873 of 906 (2,233 Views)

Hi everybody. Concerning the pulsing fan on ThinkPad E530: I am/was one of you, frustrated customers. I also wished that I had better never bought this product... However, when the support center cannot help, the help may come from elsewhere. My wife insisted so much on me to do SOMETHING with our new E530, that I finally did the following - and I may say now, that I have the most silent Lenovo notebook now.

1. I have upgraded the Bios (which did not help at all, but I did it anyway)

2. I noticed, that it is not the fan itself, which is noisy, but the HDD, which "pulsated". It went on and off, and it made me really angry...

3. I have bought a 256GB SSD disk (I paid ca 150 eur, which I never get back, but it was worse doing this investment...). I calculated that this size (256GB) would be enough (with good reserve), to copy all my system and all my work all + important data into it.

4. I downloaded "Macrium Reflect" from their site. It is a free SW. I installed this SW on my PC at work. The free version of this SW is just enough to do everything needed (see further).

5. I connected my new SSD HDD through USB to my NOISY and PULSING Lenovo E530 - so that the drivers for the new SSD were "recognized" by my E530 (just in case). Then I removed the SSD

6. with my old original HDD still in my E530 I did the registry cleaning, defragmenting (maybe this was not necessary to do), I deleted unimportant data... Of course, I supposed that my system was virus free, etc.

7. Istandardly switched off my E530.

8. I removed the battery (and of course also the power source Smiley Happy

9. from the rear side of the E530 I removed the largest plastic cover. Then I removed the HDD.

10. I inserted this (original) HDD into a 2.5 inch HDD box which I connected to my PC (at work) with Macrium Reflect already installed.

11. In Macrium Reflect I selected my (original HDD from the E530 NB) and started the option which makes the image of the whole HDD. So I made the image of my original HDD. Remember, you will need enough additional space on your PC to save the image!!! At least as much as is the size of your new SSD disk which you want to use instead of your noisy HDD.

12. I made the image of my HDD. Took me about 4 hours... Remember in this step, when you do the image: do not do the image of the whole HDD with temporary windows files such as HIBERFIL, PAGEFILE etc. When you are asked, choose only the default option.

13. When the image of your old HDD is created, put your original NOISY HDD aside, just in case that something went wrong. Do not do nothing with until you are certain that your new SSD is working on your E530...

14. Connect your SSD to your PC (through a USB cable). You will probably need to set this SSD as active, format it... I do not remember these steps I made.

15. When your SSD is ready, copy onto it the IMAGE of your original HDD from your E530 notebook. Of course, use again the Macrium Reflect SW to do it. It took me again about 2 hours to copmplete this step.

16. If everything went OK, install this SSD into your E530, in the place of your original HDD. You may need some reduction to it correctly. I dot remember what I did, but the replacement of an HDD with a SSD is well described on the internet...

17. Leave the plastic cover open, to check the noise etc. and connect the battery. Switch on the notebook. In my E530 notebook the new system started immediately without any system messages. I had no errors, no drivers, nothing missing. Such as if I had just connected my old HDD... But maybe you will need to set something in Bios before your system starts with the new system on SSD... First suprise was no sound of the old HDD, as SSD is absolutely quiet and faster, with less power consumtion...

18. In system settings I chose (for battery and power source) "passive cooling" and optimal times of turnig the screen off, putting NB to sleep, hibernating etc... If you set the "SLEEP" time to some minutes, it is a good option, because even when the fan goes on when the NB needs it, the SLLEP function (when it is activated) switches the fan off and when you wake your NB (by pressing a key), the NB starts normally with the fan off...

19. So, as I write, by doing all this, I turned my NB to at least 60 percent quieter (and also faster etc) than before.

20. But this was not enough for me. I have also reduced the maximum speed of my annoing fan by placing a resistor (about 100 ohms, you will no experiment a little bit) to the red cable (power) of my fan. That means that even if the fan is activated, it never reaches its maximum rotations... I choose just by listening to the fan and by feeling that there is sufficient air circulation / supportable noise from the fan, the "optimal" rotations of my fan. Take care that there is enough voltage on the fan (after placing a resistor) so that the fan is able to run at all when switching the NB on.

21: Well, by doing the steps 19-20, I understand that I lost my 2 year guarantee and that I did everything at MY OWN RISK. I do not want to start a philosophical question why I did all this if the NB was new etc... The answer is: nobody would give my money back, my wife would be upset of having such a garbage which cost something less that 900 eur, I would be shamed to work with such a notebook which is noisier than my PC... and so on

22> some facts: my NB is now abslolutely quiet, such as my Tablet. Even when my fan starts to run, I hear nothing. Neither my wife, who is visually impaired and having extremely sensitive ears, hears nothing disturbing now... It has 5threads, Intel processor, 8GB RAM and now a 256GB HDD. I am using my previous HDD (which was noisy and pulsating - together with tha fan) as an external HDD (950GB), where I store all my photos and all the data that I access only seldom and do not need to have them always at hand... SO in fact, I did not lose my old HDD, only I have a faster NB which is absolutely quiet.

23. Finally, and I am going to stop writing now, I measured the temperature of the processor for quite a long period of time. To do this, I use aida64 extreme SW. At highest loads (when all the cores were maximally loaded) the highest temperature of the processor which I measured, was about 40 degrees centigrade. Normal working temperature is about 35 degrees and I believe that in summer, I will not reach 50 degrees at maximum loads. If so, I know what to do. But I do not understand WHY all this....

Good luck to everybody (who are willing to experiment with their NB) which is otherwise quite good - except the its noise ...

Paper Tape
Message 874 of 906 (2,230 Views)

... I am reading what I wrote... sorry for the mistakes, I was in a hurry and wanted to help.

Punch Card
Message 875 of 906 (2,223 Views)

Thanks but i would sell it before opening and hacking a defective product.
Seriously i can't beleive this happens to lenovo, i need the laptop always on and i have to shut it down every time the fan kicks because i know it won't stop, it's crazy.
Who designed this? They forgot a termal sensor or what?
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 876 of 906 (1,979 Views)

Lenovo - for those, who do....
....want to pimp their Notebook to get it quiet..... ;-)

Congratulations, robert888 !!
But it sounds like you have a different fan than I have in my E530 with i3. Reducing the Voltage via a resistor in the red wire didn't help in my case.

@dadol, if you want to try my solution, read my post on page 16.
After 17 months still no problems.

Paper Tape
Message 877 of 906 (1,968 Views)

I do not remember if it was a red cable, but it was the one with +5V. First I tried it wit a rheostat of about 150Ohms. I started several programs at the same time that load the processor (video etc...) so that the fan started to tun. I started from zero resistivity and went up to that resistivity when the fan is going reasonably fast (and quiet at the same time) but! when the fan is able still to start after the reset... It was in my case something like 100Ohms, but you should try yourself (ast your own risk). So far (3 months now) the laptop is running quiet without any problems.
Punch Card
Message 878 of 906 (1,951 Views)

Thanks tdi2004 but that is a lot work for something that should work in the first place, i need my laptop on 24h and the fan always on even at low speed is unacceptable.
I wonder why lenovo does not fixes this and keeps their consumes happy. I brand that sells this is not worth my attention anymore. This and the removal of the trackpoint buttons, no Fn keys, etc.. Have forced to buy a dell e5550, i am waiting for it, anything is better than lenovo now. And i am saying this after more than 15 years of using thinkpads.
Paper Tape
Message 879 of 906 (1,661 Views)

As someone statet a while back; this is the fakest laptop ever. The overall build quality is horrible, the mousepad is probably the worst ever put on a laptop and then on top of that there's the fan issue. The E530 was probably some sort of test of how cheap **bleep** of a laptop you can put on the market before people get too unhappy with it. Lenovo is just testing the boundaries. I will never buy a crapnovo again.  I wish i just sent it back when i got it. 

Oh,  and for no reason a screw came loose from the bottom and fell off. Well done lenovo...

Punch Card
Message 880 of 906 (1,649 Views)

The fan issue persists in the E540 so they don't care about unhappy people. The worst thing is this issue can happen again in any model, who knows. I have totally lost my trust in this company.
Top kudoed Authors