cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ypiens
Paper Tape
Views: 2,417
Message 1 of 4

E531 black screen when booting (90% of attempts to boot)

Hi All,

My laptop is 20 months old and has worked flawlessly until 2 weeks ago (this behavior started all of sudden).

In 90% of the times I try to boot my E531 it justs shows a black screen, even not possible to enter BIOS.

Then I have to press and hold down the power switch and then retry to boot.

After a couple of retries the laptop boots as normal and functions flawlessly.

Hardware diagnostics did not find any issues.

I tried to update the BIOS (v1.15 to v1.29) using windows tool and bootable CD-rom but without success (Update using tool does not work because after the restart the laptop is not booting, CD update gives an error that the necessary files are not on the CD).

I already removed the battery, pressed power button for 30 seconds and then reboot, but without success.

All help is appreciated.

Grtz,

Yvan

pcwiztech
Punch Card
Views: 2,341
Message 2 of 4

Re: E531 black screen when booting (90% of attempts to boot)

Hi, do you have NVIDIA dedicated graphics? If so, the graphics could be failing.

Otherwise I'd be looking at a motherboard fault.

But try this, sometimes if a laptop cannot communicate with the HDD it will black screen - Remove the HDD and see if the black-screen issue still occurs (Obviously wont boot to OS without HDD but we are diagnosing at the moment.)
ypiens
Paper Tape
Views: 2,325
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply.

In the mean time I have sent my laptop to Lenovo for reparation, I also suspect a faulty motherboard.

Mohanad1994
Serial Port
Views: 2,309
Message 4 of 4

Hi I'm having the same problem; few days ago my laptop started facing the same problem and i bought it about 15 months ago and my warranty is invalid If the motherboard is the problem wouldn't it make it manufacturing defect ?
And please tell me what was the problem now you've sent it to repair .

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors