Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Naaier
Punch Card
Views: 830
Message 1 of 7

E531 ignoring Power Manager ?

Hello

I have a little problem with my E531. I own it for approximately 3 weeks and I noticed some issues, although it is a great machine for that amount of money.

1.) Although I set (in PWR MNGR) cooling policy "Pasive", fan seems to run non-stop, no matter if CPU/GPU is loaded or in idle, and temperatures seems really cold, so I dont understand why it can't turn off for a while, according to my settings, the same situation is still even when I choose the most power-saving profile, the lowest cpu frequency, and so...

2.) This bothers me more than first point. Although I have selected stopping HDD rotation to "NEVER", HDD keeps turning off whenever it is idle, the same story, no matter which profile, no matter that I'm on AC... This is problem for me for one exact reason, cause there is a relation between number of power cycles of hdd and its probability to fail, because it makes some stress on hdd to start spin again, and I really dont need to save that little amount of energy, as I am on AC mostly of the time, I'd rather to prolong a lifetime of this machine.

I checked this settings also in default windows power manager, they are same as in that lenovo manager, so I don't understand.

Using W7 Ultimate 64bit SP1

The newest versions of drivers

BIOS is not updated probably, but for now, I don't wanna make that risky procedure only because of that two issues.

Thanks for help

frg
Punch Card
Views: 806
Message 2 of 7

Re: E531 ignoring Power Manager ?

About the fan... does it sound (quite literally) like the same issue than this almost legendary problem with the previous model, E530?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/E530-pulsing-whiny-fan-no-low-load/td-p/797577

Would be pretty sad if they released a new model without fixing this.
Naaier
Punch Card
Views: 795
Message 3 of 7

I would say, that this is different. Because in that thread was mentioned that there is something like "pulsing", so fan is periodically changing its RPMs from lower to higher, but in my case, fan is running constantly, there is no problem with changing rpms, but problem is that the fan seems to never stop, still running also in "idle" when temperatures are quiet low, so in my opinion there is no reason why it shouldn't stop for a while and enjoy the silence.... anyway thanks for reply, I hope there is some solution at least for my HDD issue.

frg
Punch Card
Views: 781
Message 4 of 7

Actually I've been a bit confused what the pulsing exactly means. I think your problem then sounds more familiar to me...

I have myself E330 and the fan is typically loud, no matter how idle the computer is. It does not really correlate with temperatures either. When it starts speeding, usually it just doesn't stop until computer is shutdown/put to sleep. Sometimes it does stop for a moment, but again - no correlation to cpu usage or temperatures. At least one other person seem to have this problem with E330:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/E330-anyone-else-having-issues-with-the-fan-speed...

I wouldn't be surprised if it occurs on few other models too since a lot of Edge models probably do share a lot of internals/similar design. Does this sound closer to your problem?

queeny
Paper Tape
Views: 758
Message 5 of 7

I wish there was a Power Manager for Win 8, I would also like to change the settings.
My E531 is the same as yours. The fan will spin even if it's just idle. Strangely it's quiet as a mouse right now, so I have no idea why it's running all the other times.
I do agree it's a great machine, it's just a bit confusing as to why it's acting this way. I tried this workaround and it didn't help: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/E530-pulsing-whiny-fan-no-low-load/m-p/1146425#M1...

EDIT: 5 seconds after I post it starts spinning again.

Naaier
Punch Card
Views: 744
Message 6 of 7

If there is some bigger CPU/GPU load for longer time, for example gaming or rendering, then I would say that behaviour of fan correlates with temperatures and it works properly. But yeah, during "idle" (browsing,documents...) fan simply doesn't stop, which is weird because there is no reason to run nonstop and keep such a low temperatures. And it is also annoying when working in silent places, for example during night. If this is problem of older models, I don't understand why it isn't already fixed in E531, and probably also in other "new" Edge models.

But as I said, that HDD issue mentioned before, bothers me more and I can't figure out why it keeps ignoring these settings, although other settings works properly (brightness, cpu frequency, turning of display,....). But when it comes to fan and hdd, I'm not able to make it work.

Any possible solutions or just another people having similar problems ?

frg
Punch Card
Views: 732
Message 7 of 7

@queeny wrote:

EDIT: 5 seconds after I post it starts spinning again.

Sounds typical to me too. Smiley Mad

I'll remind again that I have E330, but this sounds so similar problem. Since affects at least couple of models, unfortunately I don't think this is a problem with the power manager software, but a problem in firmware/hardware level...

Also I have written down tempetures over a long period of time: it has been completely silent at high temperature (CPU temp) and then it has been also spinning hard at very low temp. Just makes no sense. Normal temp is somewhere between those like right now, and naturally, spinning as usual. Point is that there doesn't seem to be a clear threshold point where it starts or stops spinning.

Sometimes it annoyes me so much that I just suspend the laptop for no other reason than just to hear silence for a few seconds. Smiley Frustrated

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors