Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lnv_E
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,718
Message 1 of 6

E540 - 1802 error after WLAN card upgrade Intel 7260 AC

Hi,

I just bought a new Intel 7260 AC mSata wifi card from an IT shop to my Lenovo ThinkPad E540. ( not alibaba, ebay... ) When I pluged into the mSata slot the laptop did not started, showed only one BIOS error message:

"1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in .....
System is halted"

I googled a bit this error and it said that my wifi card is "not genuine" ?

How can I decide if a card is working with my laptop or it will not ?
I do not have any databases with VendorIDs, FRU part numbers and BIOS ids to any card to match them.
And why I can not use any mSata wifi card ?
Why Lenovo laptops must have BIOS whitelist for hardwares ?

Pictures about my new wifi card:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxyNqtcrn7ORQ3kyUllDLWZJZm8/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxyNqtcrn7OROU5HUk9Lb28wRlE/view?usp=sharing

Andrew.

Kaka1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,649
Message 2 of 6

Re: E540 - 1802 error after WLAN card upgrade Intel 7260 AC

Hello
I have had the same problem today , i bought this card since i can see it listed in Lenovo whitelist but i got this error so any suggestions ?
lnv_E
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,641
Message 3 of 6

I did not find any usefull information on the official Lenovo site and I requested a service to this problem a week ago but they did NOT responded.

Kaka1
Paper Tape
Views: 1,633
Message 4 of 6

I think we both made the same mistake,  i read a lot of threads and i understand now that the supported card must have a FRU number 04X6010,  and it's made especially for IBM / Lenovo,  but we bought the regular card from Intel ,  and that's why we got the error ( system halted) 

The problem now that i can't find any online store that sell a genuine card especially in Sweden,  and i don't want to buy from EBay,  alibaba..  So we have to find the right store to buy this card!! 

I found the model 04X6011 but i don't know if it is support the 5GHZ! 

Really confused 😕 

lnv_E
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,624
Message 5 of 6

But why Lenovo can allow only "specially made for them" expansion cards to be accepted? If they made that thing then it is their responsability to sold at the SAME PRICE like a normal one. Lenovo is NOT going to be like it was. and we must accept that and buy a non-lenovo no-name brand because they have no such problems.

I am a normal user. why I can not buy a genuine card and use it? every time I buy something I am forced to see the FRU numbers ? My hard drive and SSD, nor my new memories do not appear in the FRU part list, and over time it has changed. I have two FRU part lists from 2013 and 2014 and they are NOT THE SAME. so somebody though something and the next BIOS update do not support the last years expansion cards ? I have not heard same type of issues from other brands...

I think that using various cards not just IBM/LENOVO cards would be a strength, not a weakness for a company like IBM/Lenovo.

Henry Ford once said:

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black."

But man would want to personalise that car to be unique and for his/her like. and it was not a good selling strategy.

Lenovo made the same mistake.

If lenovo's target is the normal people (like you Kaka1 and me, who lives outside the states) then sell them customisable products. If the target is the rich people and high tech then make Lenovo shops with Lenovo FRU numbered components.

I read an official Lenovo article, which allows a specific 3G/4G module for this type of laptop, but on the internet I can not find it. It says only for XXXXX brand laptop, and if is for lenovo is for YYY subtype, not this one, but in the article says otherwise. And I am not going to ask every time the FRU number of any device, because the IT-shops sell genuine XXX brand and not interrested in FRU numbers. they know that it is genuine and it is enough for them.

I bought this laptop because it has many expandable features, AC wifi, 3G/4G card, baytray with secondary HDD, m.2 port, but they are useless, because I cound not found a compatible AC wifi card, a compatible 3G/4G module, and what happens if I buy an m.2 wifi card. nothing. IT just are not going to work. because Lenovo made it to not work.

Lenovo is for US customers only. They did not responded for my service request in more then one week and yesterday I saw that topic is already closed. So they have compatibility issues and a not working site with NO technical support at all. So if we do not live in the states we do not have technical support. I saw yesterday that my warranty is expired. even if I bought it a half year before expiration day with tweo year warranty.

Yesterday I reached somebody at US status support and said that she is at US support, and I have to reach the local support and gave me a deadend link. But there is NO local support. the local support points to the US service request site which I used it with no succes.

SO PEOPLE THINK WHAT YOU ARE BUYING. IT LOOKS GOOD, PERFECT FOR THE FUTURE BUT IS NOT GOING TO WORK, BECAUSE SOMEBODY MADE IT FOR MONEY, NOT TO WORK.

lnv_E
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,573
Message 6 of 6

The post marked as solution is NOT the solution for our problem. Lenovo shoud make a BIOS update to accept all genuine Intel made cards. Knowing the source of the problem is NOT the solution to the problem. I have requested two times technical support, but no answer yet. If this is Lenovo, I feel only sorry for them...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors