Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pedhed36
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 744
Message 1 of 9

E540 Shutting Down Abruptly

I have a lenovo E540 (PRODUCT: 20C6CT01WW) (BIOS:J9ET99WW(2.19)) which I have had for just over three years.

My current problem is that the laptop now decides to shut down after a period of 20-30 minutes.

I have used the Lenovo solution centre to run a hardware scan but all the tests passed (test code ref W15ZZC5KX-R9BPM9) I did note that the CPU and motherboard jump between temps of 70C and 85+C. when running that test.

Also of note when I boot up the laptop there have been a couple of occaisons where a very short error message comes up stating "Fan Error."

I have also looked at the battery and even though I have had it for a number of years. AIDA64 is showing that the designed capacity of 56250mWh & current capacity of 39120mWh with a wear level of 30%.

On the whole the machine has worked ok though I did have to replace the screen as it had developed purple lines that ran vertically across the screen.

Does anyone else have this problem or an idea as to what is making the laptop shut down?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 730
Message 2 of 9

Re: E540 Shutting Down Abruptly

Running hot plus an occasional "fan error" means the cooling is not working efficiently and that the fan isn't spinning as fast as it should.  Others would tell you to clean and reseat the fan.  If I were going to take it apart, I would have a new fan to install.  Running slowly usually means the bearing's grease has dried up and any repair using the old fan is unlikely to be satisfactory.  I wouldn't want to do the same job twice.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
pedhed36
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 713
Message 3 of 9

I've checked the fan and its clear of dust or blockages/its working - though I couldn't say whether its running at the rpm that its supposed to be spinning at.
pedhed36
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 657
Message 4 of 9

I went by the suggestion to replace the fan with a new one and there is no difference at all.

What do you think I should look at nextfile-3.jpegold fan taken out

pedhed36
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 614
Message 5 of 9

I’ve now replaced the CMOS battery and and it still isn’t working properly.

I’ve ordered a new main battery and hoping this might resolve things.

random04
What's DOS?
Views: 513
Message 6 of 9

I have this problem too. Did the new battery work?

pedhed36
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 511
Message 7 of 9

No the new laptop battery did not work.

I'm wondering what next to look at....the HDD or motherboard?

You would think there is some way of actually diagnosing why something shuts down abrubtly........

Help....Lenovo...please?

Mcinator
Serial Port
Views: 89
Message 8 of 9

Hello Pedhed36,

I've upgraded and refurbished about 10 of these Edge 540's and most of them have shown this problem. It's been a while since I've ran across this problem but I suspect that even though these models are shipped with Win 10 installed there is a compatability issue between the E540 and 10. 

I've updated Windows and updated all the drivers for the laptop, changed the power settings and am not sure if this really solved the problem. One area of interest would be the power management firmware. Have you upgraded this? As I faguely remember I believe this may be the key to stabilize this unstable laptop's performance. 

I hope this helps and good luck.

Mack
pedhed36
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 68
Message 9 of 9

Thankyou Mack. Is it possible to revert to a previous version of the power management firmware? I'm not sure what version I am running but i have always tended to update as and when the updates become available....
Regards
Peter

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors