Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cookie22
Punch Card
Views: 2,765
Message 10 of 53

Re: E540 Suspend/Resume failure

@Mahene: Thats true, but I have to run VmWare VMs from a USB3 harddrive and it's very painful to do this with USB2.

Edit:

Found this on bugzilla.kernel.org:

Dan Andresan 2014-10-14 08:29:02 UTC
Murat,

I contacted markah@lenovo.com asking him to put me in contact with a developer from BIOS/UEFI team, but no answer at all. I offered to run all the tests required and try different beta BIOSes that the engineers would provide.

Then I googled a little bit and found this: http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/eSupport%20Replacement%20Communication%2005.20.11.ppt which shows that markah@lenovo.com is Mark Hopkins, lead/boss/admin/"community strategist" of Lenovo Community initiative. http://www.lithium.com/why-lithium/customer-success/lenovo

All respect to Mark, but I think we would need someone with access to technical people Smiley Wink

Seems people are realy want to help, I offer help too. But I don't have this specific model. But I bet, this is present in ALL models because it's just a bug in the bios.

senser
Paper Tape
Views: 1,943
Message 11 of 53

Hello,

I have the same problem on my "Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540, model 20C60078BM" (seen in dmesg), running Debian jessie/sid.

Can someone give a little more details what's the difference between 20C6-Z049US and other models?

I was very disappointed of missing HDAP and TP-SMAPI support for Linux in E540, but suspend problem is really big disadvantage.

Regards.

cookie22
Punch Card
Views: 1,932
Message 12 of 53

There no difference in the BIOS, the BIOS is the same. Suspend will not work in the 20C6-Z049US as well. But we need to find someone who have this specific model or Lenovo will ignore this problem. What I ask my self, why does the Lenovo Support have no access to that model and test it out? It would take 10 minutes including the install of Ubuntu.
cookie22
Punch Card
Views: 1,858
Message 13 of 53

Any new?

Frank123
Paper Tape
Views: 1,746
Message 14 of 53

Betreff: E540 Suspend/Resume failure

Hi,

I can also confirm the problem with Debian Jessie/testing and Ubuntu 12.04 with my new E540 20C6CTO1WW.

Suspend only works when USB3 is disabled in the BIOS. Same error message as already documented in the first message of this thread.

Any comments from the Lenovo Support when/if this issue will be fixed?

When this bug won't be fixed, I'll have to send the notebook back to lenovo for a refund, because I need Linux+USB3+suspend.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

xc-racer99
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,725
Message 15 of 53

I also have the suspend/resume problem on my e540 20C6008QUS.

It is present in Ubuntu 14.04 and 14.10 and Linux Mint 17 and 17.1 with various kernel versions.

As with other people, disabling USB3 in the BIOS seems to work.

cedel
What's DOS?
Views: 1,717
Message 16 of 53

Hello, I'll have to replace my laptop soon and was thinking about buying this one E540, but found out about this suspend/resume problem here and on other pages.

Having either USB3 or suspend/resume working under Linux is not an option for me (especially when the ThinkPad OneLink docks seem to use USB3 for connection internally).

The "special" Linux BIOS version laptop cannot be bought here (the model number seems to suggest it's available in US only).

Reading through BIOS release notes seem to indicate that once the BIOS version is over 2.13, you cannot downgrade it to a lower version (if that was more important than UEFI security).

I was wondering, will Lenovo fix this issue or at least start looking into it in any reasonable time? I don't really get it - the problem seems to exist for at least a year (dates in BIOS release notes here)... and according to Amy_Lenovo there seems to be a wall of policies.

Does that mean that policies are more important for Lenovo than customers (either existing or prospective) or is Lenovo Windows only company?

Highlighted
cookie22
Punch Card
Views: 1,570
Message 17 of 53

It seems so. I find it a bit strange, that they do not have access to such a model to confirm this BIOS bug. For most people it would solve the problem for the moment if the release the 1.61 BIOS to public. I have no idea why they don't. I bet it's just a simple change in the code, but if the BIOS programmers don't even know about this, they can't fix it. Policies over customer support is a good way to lose customers.

tsv_dimitrov
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,502
Message 18 of 53

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

I've got E440 with the same issue. Really disappointing. Just wondering - does T series (T440/T440s/T440p/T540/etc) suffer from the same issue?

arif-ali
Punch Card
Views: 1,388
Message 19 of 53

So new version of BIOS 2.17 has been uploaded, still no change.

This is poor from Lenovo, in not attempting a fix

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors