cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conwaytwt
Token Ring
Message 34 of 53

E540 Suspend/Resume failure

When I researched this issue* I discovered that the links from the Lenovo site to the Ubuntu site indicate the "certification" applies to an extremely specific hardware combination, including a particular processor and display and other options that vary with the E540. If you notice the Ubuntu 12.04.2 link also mentions a very specific BIOS version "Lenovo J9ET27WW (1.06_Ubbuntu)" including the extra "b" in "Ubbuntu." Update:  The BIOS versions available for the E540 don't list a version anywhere near that low.

*I just bought an E540 20C6008QUS, even knowing about this problem, but deciding I liked the price and other features enough to "tough it out," hoping the BIOS issue gets resolved eventually. (I'm typing this on it right now.) Sadly, there are no "perfect" systems available; especially since the current OS and current hardware are both "moving targets," and it seems like something is always breaking!

I appreciate Lenovo for at least providing a forum; not every manufacturer does, and even fewer support linux at all.

2/24/15 EDIT: Moved message to front of discussion for escalation purposes. Amy_Lenovo

Mahene
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 1 of 53

E540 Suspend/Resume failure

Hi,

i just bought an E540, upgrade the BIOS to v2.16 and installed Ubuntu 14.04. Now everytime i close the lid and the laptop goes into suspend mode the fan doesn't stop spinning and i can't wake it up. The only thing left to do is to force a restart, which is very annoying. I know many other people are affected by this, too. The only known workaround is to disable USB 3.0 in the BIOS, but this can only be a temporary solution. Reports from other users in

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1331077

,who first encountered this issue by upgrading their BIOS from v1.61 to v2.07,

and linux kernel developers in

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=80351

suggest that this is indeed a BIOS issue which can only be resolved by LENOVO BIOS developers.

I would like to know if LENOVO is aware of this issue and how are they going to proceed.

Best regards,

Mahene

fdbailes
Paper Tape
Message 2 of 53

Re: E540 Suspend/Resume failure

Same is happening on E440 on linux with the same solution. Disable USB 3.0 in bios and it works but this is not the way to go. 

Using latest bios 2.16, also happened with 2.12 and 2.08.

ateplih
Blue Screen Again
Message 3 of 53

Same is happening on E540, BIOS 2.16.on all distribution of linux: Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, SUSE, CentOS..... and BIOS 2.11, 2.12, 2,13.

20C6005VRT

cookie22
Punch Card
Message 4 of 53

All BIOS later than 1.61 are broken for suspend. 1.61 was the last working one. If you disable USB3 is works, but not correctly. Sometimes randomly the red light in the thinkpad i point flashes like it would go to hibernate. That can happen too after rebooting from hibernate. Hibernate and suspend need a fast fix.

Please LENOVO fix this fast, it is not acceptable to choose between USB3 or suspend!!!! Makes Thinkpad Edge e540 unuseable in Linux.

Would be nice to know if LENOVO knows about this issue.

Former Employee
Message 5 of 53

I did some investigation into these reports and I would like to move forward with opening a case but I hit a snag.

For the E540s, Lenovo only supports one flavor of Linux for personal systems, which is Red Hat, and only for a specific model, 20C6-Z049US. The official documentation can be found here about a third of the way down: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd031426#2

Can someone with model 20C6-Z049US running RHEL 7.0 confirm this issue? And if so, a >30 video of the issue would be enormously helpful.

Thanks,

Mahene
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 6 of 53

Thank you Amy for your response.

Unfortunetaly i don't have that specific model and i neither use RHEL.

Since RHEL also uses the same linux kernel, which controls suspension, it should be affected, too.

However, according to your link

supportedLinux.png

it looks to me as if  Lenovo officially supports Ubuntu 12.04 which is affected aswell.

You can search for model  20C6-Z049US and even find the certification page of that model for Ubuntu 12.04

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201309-14166/components/

which according to

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201309-14166/

seems to have been shipped by Lenovo with Ubuntu at some point.

I personally have been a huge fan of Thinkpads because i could rely on their Ubuntu/Debian support and i think other have been, too. In my eyes it would be a shame if Thinkpads stopped supporting them.

cookie22
Punch Card
Message 7 of 53

Thanks for your response.

It should not matter what distro is used, all current linux distors use pm-utils for this job. So there is nothing special, in Red Hat Linux, what could pervent this issue. It looks Ubuntu 12.04 is supported too. I can confirm this for Ubuntu 12.04 as well.

The current BIOS/UEFI is broken, 1.61 was the last working.

This should help to sort out the problem, it is a quote from bugzilla.kernel.org:

Jörn Horstmann 2014-07-16 15:39:46 UTC:

Bios revision 2.09 and 2.11 also did not fix the problem. Suspending with
pm_trace did not point to any matching devices:

[ 1.174760] Magic number: 0:303:740
[ 1.174762] hash matches /home/apw/COD/linux/drivers/base/power/main.c:812

When setting pm_test to 'core' the system comes back up without problems.

The easiest workaround for the moment would be, to release the 1.61 BIOS, so we can downgrade and have a working notebook. For me it is exremly important to have Linux+Suspen+USB3. Please fix it.

Regards,

Oliver

Mahene
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 8 of 53

@cookie22
I believe to remember that there was serious uefi vulnerability in older BIOS version of some Thinkpad models. Unfortunately i can't find the Lenovo page anymore. I wouldn't want to downgrade if the E540 was affected by this vulnerability.
Former Employee
Message 9 of 53

I understand that on a technical level, Linuxs distibutions share the same bones, which is how I will open the case for one distro and resolve the issue for all.

The problem lies in what Lenovo supports. My next level support cannot accept a case opened on anything other then the two listed - RHEL 7.0 or Ubuntu 12.04.02 on model 20C6-Z049US (Thanks Mahene!). I can't change the rules, but I can use them to drive a case.

If you are running either of these versions on this model, experiencing the issue as described in this thread, and willing to assist, please PM me.

Top Kudoed Authors