Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbclark
Paper Tape
Views: 814
Message 1 of 8

E540 can't find nova button and stuck on boot menu screen,

My Lenovo thinkpad e540 was given to me by my Father a year ago. The same day I received the laptop, it worked great, I remember accidentally deleting something while on it. Then I powered it off and when I powered on, it would only go to the Boot Menu and App Menu screen. Now sometimes when I hard reset it by taking out the battery. I get the options to go through different settings example.. (f1 for Normal Start up, f5 for Bios settings) Those aren't what it actually states but just an example. It's been like this for a year now and I've never found a solution since. The laptop was a business owned one, (Thermopylae Science + Technologies) I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. After searching on the forums, someone said to use the Nova button, but I cannot find it anywhere on this. If anyone can help, then I'd be very grateful.. Thank you.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 775
Message 2 of 8

Re: E540 can't find nova button and stuck on boot menu screen,

Hello and welcome,

ThinkPads don't have Novo buttons - at least not the ones I'm familiar with. The E540 doesn't.

If you're trying to do a recovery, F11 is your best bet after a reset.  If there's no recovery option you'll need to reinstall the OS from Microsoft or Lenovo media if you don't have recovery DVDs or a flash drive already.

What OS was it running?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

dbclark
Paper Tape
Views: 772
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for the response. On the back it says "Windows 8 pro" So I'm going to assume that. I've tried pressing f11 when I start up and nothing happens..
dbclark
Paper Tape
Views: 766
Message 4 of 8

if it helps, when I go to the Setup option in App menu. The main says my Preinstalled OS license is 0B98401 WIN
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 765
Message 5 of 8

It doesn't sound like you have a local recovery option - either it's broken or perhaps was never present since you may have a corporate image on the machine.

You should be able to download MS install media here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

If that gets Windows installed (try a repair first) you can follow it up by installing TVSU and using that to download and install the appropriate Lenovo drivers:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-EDGE-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-EDGE-...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

dbclark
Paper Tape
Views: 762
Message 6 of 8

Thank you, I will try this. Should I burn Windows 8 on a disk? Then try booting up my computer with the disk in it?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 743
Message 7 of 8

IIRC the media building tool has options for DVD or USB flash drive, or saving an ISO for later burning.

I find the USB flash drive easiest and fastest, but whatever you prefer.

And yes, booting with the DVD or flash drive in place may work, depending on your BIOS settings. Try that first and if it doesn't boot we'll go from there.

Z.

dbclark
Paper Tape
Views: 738
Message 8 of 8

I've tried booting it from with a disk and it took a bit longer to load up but still went back to the app menu and boot menu screen.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors