cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The_Chimp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 884
Message 1 of 5

E540 optical drive height? (and some more intriguing questions)

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to be a proud owner of a E540 soon enough. I just have a few questions about parts and compatibility for future plans.

I'm looking to use an SSD along side the HDD supplies with the laptop. The plan is to swap out the optical drive with an appropriate caddy. My question is; does the E540 come with a 9.5mm or 12.7mm optical drive? I have done a bit of research but have only come up with inconclusive/conflicting information. I would expect it to be a 9.5mm drive along with the other '40 thinkpads, but I would appreciate if someone in the know could confirm this.

Has anyone tried to order a laptop direct from lenovo without parts that are typically included? I would love to get one without hard drive (but with hard drive bracket), memory, or OS. As a student I can get windows OS free, so it is an unnecessary expense. Also, I have a hard drive and memory I can pull from another laptop that are still in decent condition ( from a futile attempt to give new life to a crappy laptop ). I sent customer sales support (Ireland) an email a few days ago buy they haven't gotten back to me yet. Hopefully they will at some point.

Also, to tie into my next paragraph, if I could get one without a screen (but with video cable) that would be brilliant. That would surprise me though, a screen isn't quite as modular (or encouraged to replace) as memory or hard drive.

I am almost tempted to purchase a E540 with a 1366 x 768 resolution screen, then swap it out for an 1920 x 1080 IPS screen myself. Not sure I could live with TN after getting so used to IPS ( PLS to be pedantic ). There does however seem to be warnings to only buy a screen with the same resolution ( see HERE ). However this seems to be a blanket statement across all screens, erring on the side of caution I assume. Seeing as there are 1080p screens available for this model, I would be surprised if the 1366 x 768 model could not support the higher resolution. As long as I get a screen with the right connector type, I would expect it to work. Can anyone with a better understanding let me know why it may go wrong? I would hate to be stuck with a 1366 x 768 resolution screen if I did try this and it failed to work.

Also, is THIS site legit? The seem very informative and open, almost worryingly so. Decent prices too. I'll send them an email in the morning in seek of info, it's getting late here.

Oh how I wish you could just put together a laptop yourself the same way you can with a desktop. This is a fun challenge on the other hand.

That's all for now, sorry for all the superfluous information. It's great to see a thriving community here.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 877
Message 2 of 5

Re: E540 optical drive height? (and some more intriguing questions)

Hello and welcome,

No personal experience, but here's what the tabook says about the E540 optical drive:

DVD burner, 9.5mm high, fixed, not removable, tray-in

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

The_Chimp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 862
Message 3 of 5

Great, thanks for that zoltanthegypsy.

Does "not removable" really mean what it sounds to mean? It's hard to imagine that the optical drive cannot be removed, I've never come across a laptop where that is the case. It just doesn't really make sence.

It's interestign to note that some of the western europe E540's do not come preloaded with an OS (WE tabook). Do I have it right that these are just models for reselling, and direct order from lenovo is not limeted to the specs of these machines? Some combinations of choices on the lenovo online store would not be found on the tabook. This makes it seem more likely that they would sell me one without an OS at the least. Extra hardware is still handy to have, but an OEM OS licence that I can get for free is utterly useless and a waste of money to me.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 850
Message 4 of 5

My reading of "not removable" is that it isn't mounted in a UltraBay gadget that allows for no-tools swapping.  According to the Hardware Maintenance Manual page 68 it can be pulled by removing a screw.

I don't know what's actually available in Europe.  Hopefully someone else can help with that.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

The_Chimp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 843
Message 5 of 5

Ah, I now understand. I'm happy to deal with a screw or two.

Hopefully Lenovo customer sales support will eventually get back to me and clear up what is possible to buy. I may just give them a call tomorrow if I've still not heard anything at that point.

Thanks for the help.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors