Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: 11e (Windows), 13, E and Edge series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-29-2014

Virginia, USA

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 1 of 4

E545 keyboard problem - many keys not working - loose keyboard cable

2014-01-29, 16:19 PM

I recently (w/in last 2 weeks) purchased and received an E545 and after less than 8 hours of use the keyboard is extremely loose on the right hand side, primarily where the number pad sits but also extend into the right side of the alpha keyboard.  By losse, I mean that it doesn't sit well and when you press down on a key in that area of the keyboard, the entire right side of keyboard depresses.  ti's very disconcerting when typing and also extremely loud, which is an issue since I use the machine in meetings to take notes.  

I've not seen much in searching, except for threads that are several years old.  I wanted to get some user input before contacting Lenovo, as I'm sure it will be better advice and less of a hassle.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Moderator Note; subject edited; system type corrected

Options

1091 Posts

09-24-2013

Bangalore

558 Signins

43656 Page Views

• Views: 43656
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: E545 keyboard problem - many keys not working - loose keyboard cable

2014-01-30, 8:36 AM

Hi,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

I’m sorry to hear that the entire keyboard of your Lenovo ThinkPad E545 depresses on key presses.

From what you have posted, it sounds like a keyboard flex. Keyboard flexing occurs if the board supporting the keys is not rigid or if the design of the keyboard is faulty. For good keyboards, the effect shouldn't be noticeable.

If you feel excessive flexing in your keyboard, try to reseat the keyboard. Since your system is under warranty, I would strongly suggest you to take assistance from Lenovo technical support.

Click here to open a link where you can select the country and get the exact contact support number. I’m sure they will be a great help.

Best Regards,

Mithun.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

01-29-2014

Virginia, USA

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 3 of 4

2014-01-30, 15:23 PM

Thanks for your response, but I've decided to just pay the (unreasonable) restocking fee and return the machine.  It's sub-standard relative to every other PC I've owned. I am a pretty average business user, but this machine is not even close to being suitable for me.  I have heard so many good things about Lenovo over the years that this entire experience has been a true disappointment.

Options

1091 Posts

09-24-2013

Bangalore

558 Signins

43656 Page Views

• Views: 43656
  • Message 4 of 4

2014-01-31, 7:42 AM

Hi,

I would like to appreciate the valuable feedback. The probability of any individual receiving a bad machine is definitely non-zero. As low as the manufacturer's aggregate probability of failure might be (as long as it is non-zero), at least one person may receive a defective machine. I would like to add the fact that Lenovo still has an amazing build quality and the machines are tank-like in durability.

If you could share your requirements, I can try helping you to figure out the best model for you.

Best regards,

Mithun.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms