08-20-2017

CA

3 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 1 of 17

E570 - USB Recovery Creator - Missing Meta file

2017-08-20, 19:20 PM

Just picked up a Lenovo E570 (Type 20H5); Loaded all the latest patches, drivers etc. Trying ot create the Recovery media using the Lenovo USB Revovery Creator. I manage to download the Win10PROx64 for 20H5, but when I go to create the USB key, get the following errror: USB Key Creation; Recovery META file not found in the download location. See attached screen shot.

Tried multiple times, delete the download folder and did the download multiple times same results.

Options

5 Posts

11-13-2017

PL

14 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 2 of 17

Re: E570 - USB Recovery Creator - Missing Meta file

2017-11-13, 8:49 AM

Same thing here - 2x E570

Only thing left for You to do is to contact support & made a request for DVDs or USB drive.

I've been talking to support in june - whilst if first occured. Few emails later I've been assured they are working on the solution and this is separate incident.

Today I've downloaded recovery package for another E570 - using Lenovo USB Recovery Creator. Another device - still the same error.

Doesn't matter I'm using ThinkPad, package was downloaded succesfully (at least that's what LURC said) and in desperate attempt I've even user USB drive provided by Lenovo with previous recovery, right after full system scan/diagnostics of my gear.

At first I'm getting info about preparing USB drive. After that there's error telling me that "there is no usb drive present" and then my favourite - telling me that I have to go all the way trough support once again - no META file found.

At this point I'm starting to consider switching to dell completely - they treat their recovery program seriously.

LURC is not working, there was no other option than digital download (earlier there was an option to get USB drive so I won't have to waste my time with some piece of faulty downloader) and digital download itself is not working at all. Instead of providing some other option for digital download, I'm forced to use some faulty peace of code just to waste some more time with support. Realy great.

Options

3 Posts

08-20-2017

CA

3 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2017-11-13, 14:19 PM

Finnaly got mine to work. Contact Lenovo Support and they let me gave me access to s second download recovery media.

Created a new download folder and did a fresh download from the new package and managed to get it working. Must say very frustrating.... Not one of my best experiences with Lenovo.

Options

5 Posts

11-13-2017

PL

14 Signins

73 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2017-11-13, 14:38 PM

I tried this again (since all files were downloaded) using LURC's function for already downloaded files - this time it failed to propertly format adata usb drive in some fancy way (Windows was unable to recognize the device after this procedure) so i had to format it with linux.
One way or the other I have no other way but to create i ticket & wait for support to take care of things.
As You said - not one of my best experiences with Lenovo...

Options

3 Posts

08-20-2017

CA

3 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2017-11-13, 14:43 PM

Below is what hte tech support line sent me..

Not sure if you got this as well...

Greetings

Thank you for contacting Lenovo Recovery Media Support.

• Please try to collect following logs for  further investigation. To get the logs from  machine. Please perform following steps when recovery installation hangs. 1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Alt + C to open a CMD window. 2. x:\preboot\recovery\recov11.log 3. x:\recovery\iub\iutemp\mops.dat 4. x:\recovery\iub\iutemp\tester.log 5. x:\recove

• Additionally, you could help to provide the screenshot of the error, I’ll forward it to our technical team to trouble shooting accordingly and feedback to you once I hear back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternatively, your serial number has been reset and is now eligible to place a new order. Please create a new order and start the process from the beginning.

We have reviewed your device and found that your device is eligible to order a free recovery media. To do this, please access our support URL: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovorecovery/

You will need to follow the detailed steps in our user manual which can be found at https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103653

Thanks

Lenovo Recovery Media Support

Options

5 Posts

11-13-2017

PL

14 Signins

73 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2017-11-13, 14:54 PM
Yup - same thing here with my first ticket.
Options

4 Posts

12-16-2017

US

6 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 7 of 17

2017-12-16, 18:17 PM

It really bothers me when lots and lots of customers are complaining about a problem and the company refuses to acknowledge the problem in any way.

If you call and ask for recovery media, they ask you why you're asking for it, as if they had no idea.

And then when you explain that you're having this problem and that dozens of other people are having the same problem they act like it's really surprising.

Options

5 Posts

11-13-2017

PL

14 Signins

73 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2017-12-19, 7:22 AM
Yeah, especially when this seems to be one of those issues that are constant.
Since most of my machines is entitled to physical recovery media, I've stumbled upon this issue twice, in both cases ending with failure.
At this point i have given up - clean install + all drivers like I would do anyway, but I've had this problem a few years ago, when previously unused recovery media saved my ass (hp probook, unable to install any other way than by recovery - till this day I'm not sure what was wrong with this machine) and since then I'm storing them like crazy just in case ;-)
I can advise sticking only to machines entitled to physical recovery media - that seems to work flawlessly, I've never had problem with customer service in that case.
Options

7387 Posts

09-04-2014

SK

32213 Signins

1185460 Page Views

• Views: 1185460
  • Message 9 of 17

2018-01-06, 12:20 PM

All,

Which brand of USB stick have you been using? We have tried replicating the issue on four systems using different brands of USB sticks, EAGET, Kingston & Sandisk, and found that Sandisk USB drives appeared to have difficulty copying large files resulting in the process failing on all attempts.

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

4 Posts

12-16-2017

US

6 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 10 of 17

2018-01-06, 19:36 PM

I tried 4 different USB sticks.

If your media creator is so terrible that it requires a specific brand and model of USB stick then you should simply include USB recovery media with the computer.

Actually, you should simply include free USB recovery media with the computer to begin with.

You don't have to make it the default, just make it a check box on your order page.

Every manufacturer includes free recovery media.

Not offering free recovery media is like charging customers for napkins at a deli.

When I called your customer support line to ask for a USB recovery media, they made me explain myself as if I were a kindergartner refusing to take a nap.

You need to not do that. I'm an adult, and if I'm calling to request recovery media I've got a valid reason.

And if I don't have a valid reason, that's none of your business to begin with.

Don't make your support reps require a valid reason for the request.

Options

5 Posts

11-13-2017

PL

14 Signins

73 Page Views

• Message 11 of 17

2018-01-08, 10:37 AM
3 brands including A-Data - same as provided by Lenovo as recovery stick.
Other than that was Sandisk & Samsung.
There was no problem with copying large files since it didn't even get to this point - at first step there was an error with locating Meta file, that if I'm correct is some kind of index file for whole process.
Options

7387 Posts

09-04-2014

SK

32213 Signins

1185460 Page Views

• Views: 1185460
  • Message 12 of 17

2018-01-23, 13:27 PM

All,

Engineers have looked into this in more detail and this might be connected with the option being chosen to create the recovery:

There are two options in the Lenovo USB Recovery Creator;

1. Download Recovery Files and Create a Recovery USB Key [Digital order required]
  2. Create Recovery USB Key

Option 1 - Once a new digital order has been placed, the customer or end user should use the first option of the USB recovery tool to download digital recovery files and create their USB key. Once the USB key has been created successfully META file extensions will get converted from “.RMF.prg” to “.RMF”. Hence, the digital order is marked as Completed.

Option 2 - The customer or end user should use this second option when they would like to create another USB key in future with the same recovery files which were downloaded using the first option. 

Option 2 will only work once the files have been downloaded and created (converted) using Option 1.

Andy

English Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

1 Posts

05-13-2018

US

1 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 13 of 17

2018-05-13, 18:46 PM

And where is the solution from your "engineers" ??? I just see an explaination from the two options but you could have saved your time here since it's pretty obvious.

I stubble upon the same error Dozens of time while trying to just create a recovery USB from your Lenovo USB "recovery Creator" and every time I get the same "META file invalid or whatever..."

Can you please help?

Options

1 Posts

08-09-2018

US

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 14 of 17

2018-08-09, 6:07 AM

I ran into this same issue trying to make recovery USB for a T450s... and this forum was what I found via web search for a solution.  After reading one of the last messages here regarding "RMF files" being renamed, I checked in my Downloads folder where the recovery data was download, and saw a file ********.RMF.PRG.  I made a backup copy of this file, then renamed the original to just *******.RFM (removing the .PRG).  I then tried to create the USB key again, and it now worked... I was able to successfully create the USB recovery.

Thanks programmers- you sure have made our lives so much easier via computers, eh?

Options

22 Posts

08-30-2018

CN

96 Signins

674 Page Views

• Views: 674
  • Message 15 of 17

2018-09-21, 15:06 PM
That works! Thank you for saving me.
Options

2 Posts

10-17-2018

US

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 16 of 17

2018-10-17, 19:21 PM

Hello beautiful people.

After hours of struggling with the errors....

I finally managed to make a USB key from an Ideapad 720s running the preinstalled windows 10x64 home edition.

Some steps I tried along the way: (not sure which one actually made the difference)

• Removed the factory installed mcafee antivirus (which did not install cleanly - but they have  a removal tool http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp)
  • ran sfc /scannow from a command prompt run as administrator to check for corrupt windows files.
  • Deleted all the temporary files from the first attempt at using the media creator.
  • Downloaded the windows 7 version of the lenovo USB creator which then also installed .net framework 3.5.
  • Set the target for the downloaded files to be an empty folder in the root of the C: drive.

It seems the windows 7 version of the tool may be a little more robust.

Cheers.

Options

2 Posts

02-23-2020

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 17 of 17

Re:E570 - USB Recovery Creator - Missing Meta file

2020-02-23, 19:51 PM

I made a backup copy of this file, then renamed the original to just *******.RFM (removing the .PRG).  I then tried to create the USB key again, and it now worked... I was able to successfully create the USB recovery.

This worked. Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save